If you haven’t linked your SIM card with your Aadhaar card yet, it is the time that you do. The government of India has made it mandatory to link SIM card with Aadhar card before February 2018 to avoid deactivation of the phone numbers. The order was passed by the Supreme Court yesterday after hearing the Lok Niti Foundation case regarding linking of Aadhaar card and SIM cards. After this latest order, those SIM cards that have not been linked with the Aadhaar cards will be deactivated. The decision was taken by the Centre to prevent criminals, fraudsters, and terrorists from using SIMs in the name of ordinary citizens, according to a report by ANI.
Apart from this, the Centre has also directed the telecom companies to inform their subscribers about the linking of cell phones to Aadhaar through emails, text messages or advertisements. The decision was taken by a bench comprising of former Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice N V Ramana said the verification of existing pre-paid mobile users, running into crores, be done within one year. The decision was taken after the Lok Niti Foundation had sought the intervention of India’s top court to underline the unauthorised use of SIM cards in mobile phones.
How to link SIM card with Aadhar card? Here are few easy steps to do it:
1. When you’re linking your SIM card with Aadhaar card for the first time, you will have to do it offline.
2. Visit the nearest Aadhaar centre to get the Aadhar Update/Correction Form or download it from the UIDAI website.
3. Provide a photocopy of an Identity proof document such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card. After submitting the update form along with the photocopy of your Aadhaar card you also need to provide a photocopy of an Identity proof document such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card.
4. After this, your biometrics will be verified at the enrollment centre and your thumb impression will also be verified.
5. It will take 2 to 5 working days for the update to happen but as per the UIDAI helpline, the turnaround time for the update is 10 days.