An ”IT” boost has been administered by Kerala Finance Minister T.M. Thomas Issac when he presented the 68th state budget in the state assembly today. A state like Kerala, which is known for its literacy rate and tech-savvy youth, has some good news to celebrate – this year’s state budget has announced free Internet to 20 lakh poor families! There are many Malayalis already rejoicing to this announcement. With this ambitious initiative, Kerala government is reaffirming commitment to reduce the digital divide in the state. According to local news reports, this initiative aims to provide about 1 GB data per month totally free of cost! Additional usage may be charged. Also, BSNL will roll out the cheapest plan available for this ambitious project.
Addressing the state legislative assembly, Kerala Finance Minister T.M. Thomas Issac stated that Kerala is poised to become a hardware manufacturing hub and that this initiative aims to reduce the digital divide in the state.
You may also want to watch-
“Not only free Internet, but Kerala is set to be the first state in the country to recognize Right to Internet as a right of its citizens,” he said.
Also Read: Highlights of Kerala Budget
Other IT initiatives announced are as follows:
1. By 2020, one lakh jobs to be generated through Kochi Info Park.
2. 12 IT Parks will be set up and hardware mission will be allotted Rs 1 crore.
3. All places in Kerala will soon get Internet via electric posts.
4. Free wifi will be made available in all Akshaya centres to facilitate e-seva facilities.
5. A majority of government-related activities to be conducted through the online medium.