The Supreme Court on Friday continued its hearing on the demonetisation drive and asked the Central government if the policy was confidential when it was being made. The Chief Justice of India T S Thakur asked the centre as to why the Union government’s order of granting a withdrawal limit of Rs 24,000 per day to a person had not yet been implemented. The apex court framed 9 questions for adjudication to decide if the demonetisation drive was unconstitutional. SC is to resume the hearing of the demonetisation matter on December 14, 2016. Meanwhile, Prashant Bhushan told the SC that there was no cash in ATMs and recalibration was not carried out properly. He also added that cooperative banks had been discriminated in the entire process post demonetisation.

However, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi countered his argument and said that the central government had taken all the necessary measures to ease the inconveniences faced by the general public. Earlier last week, CJI T S Thakur had asked the central government to see if anything could be done about the suffering of the people, which he had observed was a serious problem. The Centre had submitted an affidavit earlier on the matter stating that the demonetisation move was an attempt at the unearthing black money that had been stashed for over 7 decades.

Also watch:

[jwplayer FwvN7qWR-DE6UeepY]

The affidavit filed by the Central government had stated that demonetization was a step in reducing the ratio of cash transactions and had added that the main objective was to unearth illegal parallel economy. The Supreme Court on November 18 had refused to put a stay on the various hearings in High Courts and lower courts regarding the demonetisation drive, despite AG Rohatgi’s transfer peition seeking a stay on all pending cases against demonetisation.