A Panaji court today issued a non-bailable warrant against ex-chief minister of Goa Digambar Kamat for failing to appear before it in a case relating to multi-crore-rupee sewerage scam, an IANS reported said.
Kamat, who was the chief minister of the state between 2007-2012, when Congress-led alliance was in power, failed to appear before the court on two earlier occasions, even as the court issued summons to him
Kamat along with another former chief minister Minister Churchill Alemao and other government officials were accused of accepting $976,630 bribe in 2010 from officials of US-based Louis Berger consultancy firm for giving them implementation rights of a multi-billion-dollar water and sewerage project in Goa worth Rs 1,031 crore to be funded by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
As per IANS, senior officials, who were linked to JICA project as also senior Louis Berger employees were arrested along with Alemao.
A complaint was filed after US-based Louis Berger company discovered that bribes were paid to elected representatives of the state as well as government officials to secure the contract.
Earlier on April 24, Kamat was granted bail in the Rs. 35,000 crore illegal mining scam, an Indian Express report said. The former chief minister was granted bail on a security of Rs 1 lakh.
You may also like to watch this video
“This is the second battle I am fighting,” Kamat was quoted as saying by the daily outside the court after getting the bail.
In 2013, when BJP Government was in power, the probe had further advanced with SIT calling Kamat for the second round of questioning.
In March, the Enforcement Directorate (ED), while probing the Louis Berger case, had attached his as well as NCP leader Churchill Alemao’s properties, the daily said.