Popular Malayalam dubbing artist Bhagyalakshmi's Facebook post about a gang rape victim went viral last week, after she revealed that the cops had asked humilating questions to the gangrape victim such as "Who gave you most pleasure?"
Popular Malayalam dubbing artist Bhagyalakshmi’s Facebook post about a gang rape victim went viral last week, after she revealed that the cops had asked humilating questions to the gangrape victim such as “Who gave you most pleasure?”
In a TV interview to Asianet News this evening, Bhagyalakshmi explained her stand and stated, “The victim had sent a detailed petition to the Chief Minister. I am deeply saddened by the fact that the victim of this gangrape case has not been able to meet the Chief Minister till now. The question is that did the petition reach the Chief Minister’s office or was it stopped or concealed from reaching him mid-way by vested interests? We don’t know what has happened.”
She also stated, “I feel deeply saddened by that the Chief Minister did not meet the victim. My only hope is that the case will be investigated with honesty.”
When asked why Bhagyalakshmi revealed the gangrape victim’s story on Facebook, she told Asianet News:
1. I posted the gangrape victim’s story on Facebook to let people know what has happened to her. The victim came to me, saying that she wants the case to be reopened after it had been closed. The victim asked, “Should I commit suicide?”
I told her, “Go home and sleep. Walk with your head high in front of the perpetrators.”
2. I have not named anyone in my Facebook post, it is the victim alone who can reveal the names.
3. Why has this case become such a big issue? Is it because there is a politician involved? The other three names are not discussed by people. That shows a problem with our mindsets.
4. The case was concealed because of the involvement of politicians. I saw no way ahead and made the details public.
5. When a woman goes as a complainant, the institutions that are supposed to protect them treat them with suspicion and go to the extent of humiliating them.
A well-known dubbing artist, Bhagyalakshmi shot into fame after publishing her autobiography in Malayalam titled, “Swarabhedangal.” Following this, Bhagyalakshmi became very popular with Malayalis worldwide.