In the wee hours of Sunday, explosions and gunfires rocked the Indian Army base in North Kashmir’s Uri town, killing 17 jawans and injuring 19 other personnel in terror strike in which four militants were neutralised. Senior intelligence officials in Srinagar told The Indian Express that besides infiltration inputs for the Uri sector sent by them on September 12 and 13, a specific detailed intelligence alert had been generated by them on September 15 September about a possible Fidayeen attack in the area.
As per the officials said the alert mentioned two specifics — that a possible fidayeen attack could be mounted and that it could be executed by a Pakistani border action team (BAT) positioned close to the LoC and waiting to infiltrate into Uri.
The September 15 IB alert was sent to all in the “crisis loop”, sources said, including the Army command units in the State.
“A group of heavily armed terrorists targeted the rear administrative base of a unit at Uri, Kashmir. In the counter action, four terrorists have been eliminated and combing operations are in progress,” the Army said in a statement. Soon after the attacks, an alert has been sounded in Punjab for extra vigil along the international border.
Meanwhile, SR Sinho, a Defence Expert while blaming Pakistan for the Uri attack said, “It seems like Pakistan has waged a proxy war against India because they’re getting agitated by Balochistan issue. It’s time for the government of India to take a practical approach, and react to this.”
Home Minister Rajnath Singh today chaired a high-level meet at his residence in order to discuss the situation while Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the attack and added that perpetrators of the attack will not go unpunished and that all those who lost their lives while fighting will always be remembered.