UDAY laggards mar scheme Eight states including Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, UP and J&K have registered higher AT&C losses after joining UDAY.
Re-energised: River-linking projects rev up under Gadkari touch: Rs 50,000 cr worth of works on 3 stretches to commence in 3 months
• River-linking takes off Projects to link Ken and Betwa, Damanganga and Pinjal, and Par, Tapi and Narmada have received necessary approvals; Damanganga-Pinjal will be the first because all sharing-related issues between Gujarat and Maharashtra have been resolved.
Govt now to offer 10 coal mines for pvt commercial mining; taken far too long to open up coal sector for non-captive private operations
• Commercial coal mining is finally here NDA-1 had introduced a Bill to allow commercial mining, but the idea never took off till 2014, when the SC cancelled all existing coal allocations. Even then, the govt only allowed those firms who would use the coal to bid in the auctions.
Urban Ministry to review outcomes of various Urban Missions. Certain to lead to conclusion.implement 74th Constitnl Amendment vigorously
• Monitoring progress of urban missions Under AMRUT, 500 cities to be rated by credit rating agencies so they can raise funds from the market through municipal bonds. Need to implement 74th Amendment that envisions devolution of taxation powers by state govt to local bodies.
Sensible to have postponed auction of next batch of Wind Power projects till streamlining & clarifications on grid connectivity issues done
• Postponing wind auctions good decision CERC will decide on a petition filed by PowerGrid Corp on availability of bays for grid connectivity. Hopefully, this will also tackle the issue of squatting on infrastructure in the bay space at the interstate transmission system substations.
UP Govt keen to do something bigger than Agra-Lucknow Expway & Central Govt willing to help. So Rs 30,000 cr Purvanchal Expway taking shape
• Centre smoothens UPfs path While the project.it requires 4,500 hectares of land across nine districts.will give infrastructure in the state a fillip, it is also expected to woo industry. Industrial clusters are planned along its course to provide jobs to thousands.
Public exp & stressed assets seen as opportunities in d here & now. $1 billion India-focussed Infra Fund of MorganStanley sees first close
• Public spending raking in foreign funds The fund, which will invest in roads, airports and ports, apart from healthcare-, telecom- and education-infrastructure, has received investment pledge of $150m from the AIIB; Southeast Asian sovereign funds have shown interest too.
UDAY sees 2 sets emerging.Laggard & Improving states. Clearly, proportion of latter has to £ substantially for it to be termed ’success’
• UDAY laggards mar scheme Eight states including Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, UP and J&K have registered higher AT&C losses after joining UDAY. Almost all of the 26 states that have joined the scheme are still far from the target of keeping AT&C losses at 15% by 2019.
Peaking of spot power prices at Rs 9.0/unit explained: drop in hydro, wind, nuclear + coal shortage at places + Aug high on irrigation demand
• Thermal power generation gains Weather has affected hydro & wind power generation. Power demand is the same as last year, leading to 17% growth in coalbased power generation as hydro generation fell by 12% and nuclear power by 36% in August 2017 over August last year.
Author is Chairman, Feedback Infra
Twitter handle: @Infra_VinayakCh
A weekly selection of the authorfs tweets.with a brief backgrounder.in the infra space, by Sarthak Ray