Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the death of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Ashok Singhal, whom he described as a “force behind several noble deeds and social work”, and said his demise was “deep personal loss” for him. Singhal, who rose to prominence playing a leading role in the Ram Janambhoomi movement in the late eighties and afterwards, died on Tuesday at a private hospital at the age of 89. Here are the top 10 quotes by PM Narendra Mdi and others on Ashok Singhal death:
1. “The demise of Ashok Singhal ji is a deep personal loss. He was an institution in himself, whose life was centred around serving the nation,” said PM Modi.
2. “Ashok Singhal ji was the force behind several noble deeds & social work, which benefitted the poor. He is an inspiration for generations,” said PM Modi.
3. “I was always fortunate to receive Ashok ji’s blessings & guidance. My condolences to his family & countless supporters,” said PM Modi.
4. “Saddened by demise of Shri Ashok Singhal Ji. His contribution to the nation and society will be remembered forever. I pray for his departed soul,” said Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel.
5. “Singhal’s death is unrecoverable loss to the society as his life was always inspiring and he was ‘ajatshatru’ (one who has no enemy like Yudhishthir),” said Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh.
6. “Ashok Singhal had always made efforts to provide a new direction to the country, Singhal’s death has left an irreparable loss to the country,” said Jharkhand CM.
7. “He was a spirited thought leader who has grown VHP to the international stage. His contribution for preservation of Hindu culture, values, ethos & heritage is invaluable. I bow my head in reverence to the great human being that he was. I pray for his soul to rest in peace,” said Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya.
8. “Saddened at the passing away of Ashok Singhal ji. My condolences to his family,” Union Minority Affairs Minister Najma Heptulla.
9. “Singhal was a key organiser of the first VHP Dharma Sansad in 1984 held at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi, attracting hundreds of Sadhus and prominent people to discuss the issues of rejuvenating Hinduism. This led to the birth of the movement for reclaiming the Ramjanmabhoomi temple and Singhal soon became the chief architect of this movement,” said Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
10. “I am saddened by the demise of Shri Ashok Singhal ji. May God render peace to the departed soul,” said Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
(With PTI news inputs)