DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh said India conducted surgical strikes last night across LoC and significant casualties were caused to the terrorists.
India conducted surgical strikes last night across LoC and significant casualties were caused to the terrorists, Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, DGMO, Indian Army said on Thursday. He also said that it is a matter of serious concern that there has been many infiltration bids by terrorists at LoC. He also added that the motive of this operation was to hit out at the terrorists who were planning to infiltrate into our territory. “India has shared with Pakistan Army details of surgical strikes and we expect them to cooperate in the fight against terror,” he added. There were no Indian causalities during surgical strikes that were carried out. “We have recovered items including GPS which have Pakistani markings. Captured terrorists hailing from PoK or Pakistan have confessed to their training in Pakistan or in the Pakistan-controlled region,” Singh said. According to the sources, seven launchpads were targeted in the strike and the operation was a combination of heliborne and ground forces. The sources also revealed that the operation started after midnight and ended around 4:30 AM today.
President, Vice President, Former PM Manmohan Singh, J&K Governor, J&K CM Mehbooba mufti were also briefed on the surgical strikes by the Indian Army. Home Minister Rajnath Singh has informed Chief Ministers of Punjab, West Bengal and Odisha, CPI-M’s Sitaram Yechury and Congress’ Ghulam Nabi Azad about the operation.However, Pakistan rejected India’s claim of surgical strikes across LoC. Pakistan Airforce said that “this (by Indian Army) was not a surgical strike and we are alert for any eventuality.”
- 'Tragedy unfolding in country': Rahul Gandhi lashes out at Narendra Modi government over farm laws
- Uttar Pradesh MLC Election: Former IAS officer Arvind Kumar Sharma among 10 candidates fielded by BJP
- Republic Day 2021: No chief guest to first woman fighter pilot, know what makes 72nd R-day celebrations unique
Meanwhile, Pakistan, in a statement issued has said: At least two Army men were killed as Indian and Pakistani troops exchanged fire over the Line of Control in “Azad Jammu and Kashmir”. The exchange of fire began at 2:30am, ISPR said, and continued till 8:00am. “Pakistani troops befittingly responded to Indian unprovoked firing on the LoC in Bhimber, Hotspring Kel and Lipa sectors,” the statement said. The press conference was jointly conducted by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Ministry of Defence.
WATCH: DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh briefs media on the surgical strikes conducted by Indian Army
— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
Earlier on Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to discuss the situation at the Line of Control. Rajnath Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Manohar Parrikar and other senior ministers were present at the meeting. India had repeatedly warned Pakistan not to allow its territory to be used for terrorist activities. Besides, India had called for an international diplomatic boycott of Pakistan as it shielded terrorists on its land. At the United Nations General Assembly, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Pakistan was a terror state and it needs to rein in terror elements.
WATCH: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh says “Let all the facts come” on surgical strikes by Indian Army in Pakistan territory
— ANI (@ANI_news) September 29, 2016
Three ceasefire violations by Pakistan were reported along the LoC in the last 24 hours. India on Tuesday also announced that it was pulling out of the SAARC summit scheduled to be held in Islamabad in November. Meanwhile, the meeting called by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to review Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to Pakistan has been postponed till next week.