CST Foot over Bridge Collapse in Mumbai: Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 Lakh each to the families of those who died in the incident and compensation of Rs 50,000 each to the injured.
Bridge Collapse in CST, Mumbai: A major portion of a foot over bridge collapsed in south Mumbai on Thursday evening killing at least six persons and injuring 36 others. All the injured have been rushed to nearby hospitals. The bridge connected the area near the Times of India building with the iconic CST station.
The incident took place around 7.30 pm when a major portion of the bridge caved in. Some motorists who were passing beneath the bridge when it came down, were among those injured, according to officials. A team of NDRF and a dog squad were at the spot. The casualty toll is likely to rise.
Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 Lakh each to the families of those who died in the incident and compensation of Rs 50,000 each to the injured. The Maharashtra government will also provide for their treatment. He also raised questions on the structural audit of the bridge, which collapsed today. “It’s unfortunate. I’ve ordered for a high level inquiry. A structural audit of the bridge had earlier been done&it was found to be fit. Even after that if such incident happened, it raises question on the audit. Inquiry will be done. Strictest action will be taken.”
PM Narendra Modi expressed his condolences and said, “Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the foot overbridge accident in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. Wishing that the injured recover at the earliest. The Maharashtra Government is providing all possible assistance to those affected.”
Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the foot overbridge accident in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. Wishing that the injured recover at the earliest. The Maharashtra Government is providing all possible assistance to those affected.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 14, 2019
Home Minister Rajnath Singh also expressed his condolences and said, “The collapse of a foot overbridge in Mumbai is deeply saddening. My thoughts are with the families who lost their loved ones in this accident. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured.”
Maharashtra Minister Vinod Tawde said that the Railways and the BMC will conduct an inquiry into the maintenance of the bridge. He asserted that the bridge wasn’t in a bad condition and it required minor repairs for which work was underway. Why is wasn’t not closed until the repair work was completed will also be probed, he added.
In a statement put out after the incident, the Ministry of Railways said that the bridge belonged to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). However, they are extending support to the victims. Railway doctors & personnel are cooperating with BMC in relief & rescue operations, it said.
BJP MLA Raj Purohit said that an action should be taken against the engineer who gave certificate to this bridge in auditing. “He should be arrested. He should be punished,” the MLA said while speaking to the legislator.
Congress leader Milind Deora said, “If the govt wants to send a message to the common Mumbaikars that this won’t happen again then they should immediately lodge an FIR under IPC Section 302 which amounts to murder, against the concerned officers & auditors.”
The bridge was commonly known as ‘Kasab bridge’ as the 26/11 Mumbai attack terrorist passed through it during the terror strike.
A case has been registered in the incident. Last year in July, a portion of a road over-bridge collapsed in suburban Andheri. After the incident, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal had announced a joint safety audit of 445 bridges across the city.