1. Aadhaar SIM linking: This man lost Rs 1.3 lakh from salary account due to a fraud; know what happened with him

By: | Updated: October 25, 2017 4:03 PM
Aadhaar SIM linking, Aadhaar SIM link, fraud, scam, icici bank, airtel, Aadhaar phone number linking This story gives a big lesson to all of us. (Photo from FB of Shashwat Gupta)

This story gives a big lesson to all of us. The Rs 1.3 lakh fraud allegedly happened in the name of linking Aadhaar with SIM. According to one Shashwat Gupta, he lost Rs 1.3 lakhs from his ICICI Bank salary account due to Aadhaar-SIM linking fraud. Shashwat Gupta has written a detailed post on his Facebook account sharing what really happened and how he lost Rs 1.3 lakh from his salary account; the money he had saved for using during the worst times of his life. Shashwat also questioned about the security of his ICICI account. He is demanding that ICICI Bank should refund every single penny which he lost in this incident.

Here is the FULL FB POST revealing what happened with Shashwat:-

“And in a blitz, my salary account was looted.

Hi guys! I just lost an amount of Rupees 1.3 lacs from my ICICI Bank salary account. A fraud, claiming to be from Airtel, gave me an ultimatum that Airtel would deactivate my SIM and block my number forever as I had not linked my Aadhar card to my SIM. He urged me to message my SIM card number to 121 (Official Airtel Service Number) and my SIM would be reactivated without any hassle. Little did I know that the fraudster would clone my SIM and loot all my hard earned money and also take away Investments (Fixed Deposits) that I had planned on using during the worst times of my life.

Is this all that was required to break my ICICI Bank Account? Is that how vulnerable technology have left us? I always thought that our accounts are well protected by layers of security. I was under the impression that a person would require my account details or debit card or some sensitive information that only I have, that I have been safeguarding every minute of my life, to break my account. But the truth is all that sensitive stuff is already floating around the criminal world waiting to be raided, as our beloved banks like ICICI Bank haven’t been able to keep what must only be ours, OURS!

It is unbelievable how easy it has become to steal from our accounts. All the fraudsters are doing is trying every trick they can think of to get that one tiny key that would break open a safe that seem to be safeguarded by hundred different locks.

The saddest part of this is, after the loot on day one, ICICI Bank was not able to protect the balance amount. Even after 18 hours of raising Service Request ( S/R 497438380 ) and repeated follow ups on customer care and branch, the Bank was not able to freeze my balance and as a result early next morning the fraudster was easily able to walk away with the remainder amount. Dear ICICI Bank, are your services supposed to end in crisis or are you supposed relieve the customers’ grievances and prevent further damage?

ICICI Bank needs to understand that a fraudster breaks much more than an account with his activities, he breaks a persons’ life.

I feel that the Bank has failed to protect my account effectively and are completely responsible for my losses. I hence demand ICICI Bank to refund every single penny I’ve lost in this incident.

I would also like to speak out to my friends here, guys please be careful and wary of these frauds. The people who we think are securing us, are actually the ones screwing us.”

ORIGINAL FB post:-

Shashwat has tagged these profiles in the post too. “ICICI Bank Arun Jaitley Ravi Shankar Prasad Digital India Piyush Goyal Reserve Bank of India Narendra Modi #fraud #ICICIBank Aditi Mallick The Times of India TIMES NOW Hindustan Times MumbaiMirror.com DNA India Airtel India My Malishka DailyO Mumbai Police”

Reacting to the incident ICICI bank said:-

Airtel has also responded to the incident:-

“Hi! Please be informed that as per the government initiative program it is advised not to share any kind of sensitive information to anyone over any kind of platforms as it may lead to fraudulent activities against the account. Further, request you to immediately report the query to the local authority. Thank you, Shivani R,” Airtel’s official FB profile wrote.

(The story is entirely based on the man’s FB post; FE doesn’t vouch for the authenticity of the post)

Reader
    Nov 7, 2017 at 2:11 pm
    The biometrics-based Aadhaar program is inherently flawed. Biometrics can be easily lifted by external means, there is no need to hack the system. High-resolution cameras can capture your fingerprints and iris information from a distance. Every eye hospital will have iris images of its patients. So another person can CLONE your fingerprints and iris images without your knowledge, and the same can be used for authentication. That is why advanced countries like the US, UK, etc. did not implement such a self-destructive biometrics-based system. If the biometric details of a person are COMPROMISED ONCE, then even a new Aadhaar card will not help the person concerned. This is NOT like blocking an ATM card and taking a new one.
      Reader
      Nov 7, 2017 at 2:10 pm
      UK’s Biometric ID Database was dismantled. Why the United Kingdom's biometrics-linked National Identi-ty Card project to create a centralized register of sensitive information about residents similar to Aadhaar was scrapped in 2010?? The reasons were the massive threat posed to the privacy of people, the possibility of a surveillance state, the dangers of maintaining such a huge centralized repository of personal information and the purposes it could be used for, the dangers of such a centralized database being hacked, and the unreliability of such large-scale biometric verification processes. The Aadhaar program was designed in 2009 by mainly considering the 'Identi-ty Cards Act 2006' of UK, but the UK stopped that project in 2010, whereas India continued with the biometrics-based program. We must think why the United Kingdom abandoned their project and destroyed the data collected. (Google: 'Identi-ty Cards Act 2006' and 'Identi-ty Documents Act 2010' )
        Parthasarathy R
        Oct 20, 2017 at 11:52 am
        why has he not given compliant to rbi ? how can somebody share information with others so easiyl
        1. alok singh
          Oct 20, 2017 at 1:18 am
          Same thing happen with recently 16/10/17 after upgarding a adhar number with idea gallery i just lost my 5000 here how its goes sound filmly but its true just i went to bank to remove cash for diwali just there 5000 less in statement ,then remove a mini statement 5000 were gone through idea money then i call customer care they said sir as u link andhar card and u get 4g sim free but u wont get sms til 24 hrs like OTP or any bank transaction detail via sms, next day i contacted a bank,bank said we r helpless then went to idea gallery they also said we cant help in this matter tell u this is my company current account.now i dont know where to go helpless,we should have strong cyber police,any one who can help me on this welcome n thanks in advance i knw its a small amount but we need to take action on this #actnow i know i wont get my money back, i am just thinking about poor people.
            jagadishachappa
            Oct 19, 2017 at 1:11 pm
            same like thing has happened to me in the name of redeeming of credit card points.i had got a call saying they are calling from HDFC bank,i dont know how come they came to know how much redeem points are there in my credit card.
            1. H
              Heena Virani
              Oct 18, 2017 at 8:29 am
              ICICI is a group of thieves. They keep waiting until we get tired and close the case what is happening with me. I also lost my 22k from my account I wonder kyc updates and digital banking is a boon or a curse. They don't care about people's money. During sensitive times they take a week to reply. I hate this bank and I recommend no account in this bank for any reason.
              1. g
                girish.herle
                Oct 18, 2017 at 7:31 am
                How it could happen? First of all the person needs to have Aadhaar no then he automatically gets bank account no and mobile no. Once he gets the mobile,only thing required is sim no to clone it,then he can easily reset passwords and do transfer. In this case getting the Aadhaar no is not at all difficult,as most of the Aadhaar centres are run by private citizens.When no fee was supposed to be taken ,they take 100 rs processing fee.So their ethics is questionable especially considering government itself doesn't consider it's privacy issue and neither any severe punishment for such offenders. The second part is calling from 121 no,I think this is little bit ingenious and obviously dangerous..this can lead to much more fraudulent activities in the future. Thanks to digital india.everyone is equally unsafe.
                  sathish Kumar
                  Oct 17, 2017 at 7:13 pm
                  Aniruddh Joshi.. Before questioning the legitimacy of this post, y dont you try share your mobile and sim number along with your Aadhaar number... you will see yourself in a few minutes, how u can be robbed without u sharing your internet banking id, password, 3d secure pin, blah blah blah..... Shashwat and to all fellow readers... I had a similar bad experience way back in 2009.. those days, 3D secure pin concept was still new... but even then in that time, I was looted 20000 from my ICICI Credit card.. The fraudster, was able to change my registered mobile number email in ICICI records, without me getting any intimation of such change.. Once these were changed, he used 20000 in my card for booking flight tickets through online... When I complaigned this to ICICI, the first thing they did was close their EARS.. they refused to share the IP address and the details of the fraudsters location... Later, it turned out to be in an in-house fraud by an ICICI BANK BRANCH MANAGER..
                    desiaaddmi
                    Oct 17, 2017 at 6:15 pm
                    sim number orr mobile number????
                    1. N
                      nsann
                      Oct 17, 2017 at 4:58 pm
                      Today I visited airtel store just to link aadhar and found out they are asking more details. So I left the store, they will share these details with everyone.
                      1. Aniruddh Joshi
                        Oct 17, 2017 at 3:58 pm
                        I highly doubt he messaged the number to 121. I think he messaged to an other number. Second, even if someone has access to my phone number how can they steal money without hacking my Netbanking details? Something is really fishy here. He is not providing full information.
                        1. O
                          ORB
                          Oct 17, 2017 at 8:22 am
                          I feel sorry for his loss. But applying a basic common sense would have saved his hard earned money. To link aadhar with mobile phone, service providers ask us to visit the nearest store, not to share any information over phone or SMS.
                            Reader
                            Oct 17, 2017 at 8:11 am
                            A centralized and inter-linked biometric database like Aadhaar will lead to profiling and self-censorship, endangering freedom. Personal data gathered under the Aadhaar program is prone to misuse and surveillance. Aadhaar project has created a vulnerability to identi-ty fraud, even identi-ty theft. Easy harvesting of biometrics traits and publicly-available Aadhaar numbers increase the risk of impersonation, especially online and banking fraud. Centralized databases can be hacked. Biometrics can be cloned, copied and reused. Thus, BIOMETRICS CAN BE FAKED. High-resolution cameras can capture your fingerprints and iris information from a distance. Every eye hospital will have iris images of its patients. So another person can clone your fingerprints and iris images without your knowledge, and the same can be used for authentication. If the Aadhaar scheme is NOT STOPPED by the Supreme Court, the biometric features of Indians will soon be cloned, misused, and even traded.
                            1. Aniruddh Joshi
                              Oct 17, 2017 at 4:00 pm
                              Aadhar has nothing to do with it, please read full story and remain on topic.
                                sathish Kumar
                                Oct 17, 2017 at 7:20 pm
                                Aniruddh Joshi... , y dont you shut ur MOUTH... U should b robbed first.. Then, v vl see, how ur HOLE will cry pain.. dumbass... You think Aadhar has nothing to do with it... Aadhar has everything needed for a fraudster, to know about u and ur assets... With IT sawy people in India, everyday, we see a new method of looting, even without Aadhar.. and with Aadhar, it is a Parcel meal of all information, for these Fraudsters to just Hack-in and loot... Please close your HOLE MOUTH once for all.. and for Heaven's sake, Think twice before trying to act smart... What READER mentioned is a fact.. he as put a lot of information, which every Rational person will like to express..
                              Reader
                              Oct 17, 2017 at 8:11 am
                              UK’s Biometric ID Database was dismantled. Why the United Kingdom's biometrics-linked National Identi-ty Card project to create a centralized register of sensitive information about residents similar to Aadhaar was scrapped in 2010?? The reasons were the massive threat posed to the privacy of people, the possibility of a surveillance state, the dangers of maintaining such a huge centralized repository of personal information, and the purposes it could be used for, and the dangers of such a centralized database being hacked. The other reasons were the unreliability of such a large-scale biometric verification processes, and the ethics of using biometric identification.
                                Reader
                                Oct 17, 2017 at 8:10 am
                                The US Social Security Number (SSN) card has NO BIOMETRIC DETAILS, no photograph, no physical description and no birth date. All it does is confirm that a particular number has been issued to a particular name. Instead, a driving license or state ID card is used as an identification for adults. The US government DOES NOT collect the biometric details of its own citizens for the purpose of issuing Social Security Number. The US collects the fingerprints of only those citizens who are involved in any criminal activity (it has nothing to do with SSN), and the citizens of other countries who come to the US.
                                1. Binoy Gupta
                                  Oct 17, 2017 at 7:51 am
                                  A similar fraud had been committed in the case of another ry account holder Thomas Ninnan. Rs. 14 lakhs were siphoned off from his ry account in Axis Bank I had fought for him. I lost in the District Consumer Forum. I went in appeal to the Maharashtra State Consumer Commission and we won. For those who are interested, I have given full details at the following link. : consumerforumhelp /axis-bank-directed-to-refund-the-money-lost-due-bank-fraud/
                                  1. H
                                    Hhhjj
                                    Oct 16, 2017 at 10:57 pm
                                    Gghhj
                                    1. N
                                      N.P.Sivastava
                                      Oct 16, 2017 at 10:36 pm
                                      It is Airtel and Govt. also culprit. They should be dragged into Court why they are insisting linking both bank and mobile SIM. Only one thing should be made mandatory. Either bank account or SIM. If Govt feels that wrong people are taking SIM fraudulently in anybody else name in the wake of terrorism in India then bank account should not insisted to be linked. Otherwise many more I mean lakes or Cortes of such frauds taking place.
                                      1. Denn Hee
                                        Oct 16, 2017 at 7:57 pm
                                        I would suggest everyone to set the SIM lock feature. Even in the case of duplicating of SIM, SIMLock would pop up asking for the PIN even if the culprit is using a feature phone. Anyone has any better idea? Please share so that other Innocents won't have to suffer.
                                        1. N
                                          Nachiket
                                          Oct 16, 2017 at 7:34 pm
                                          1st government,Operator, bank, RBI should give us assurance of security of our sensitive data and then ask us to linked it with Addhar ..because of someone Digital India dream, we can not suffer in real world..we also understand importance of DIGITAL and it's benefits ..but our technology is not mature yet to take care of sensitive information..if authority feeing that "yes we are ready" ..showcase this capability.. Now incase of lost of money ..who will take this responsibility..Bank ??..Operator ??..or Aadhar authority ???..there is still no set rules...
                                          1. Mandalika Murthy
                                            Oct 16, 2017 at 4:17 pm
                                            If it is so easy to withdraw the money from the account of a person in ICICI Bank just by knowing the sim card number and Aadhaar then the e-banking system of ICICI Bank must be very poorly designed and maintained. One has to be very careful to do e-banking transactions in and with ICICI Bank. Secondly, how can a fraudster can get to use 121, the servicing number of Airtel. Can the guy be in such a case from Airtel staff ? It looks all fishy and Airtel has also to answer this technical aspect of this transaction.