No record Karkare called Digvijay

Written by Political Bureau | Nagpur | Updated: Dec 18 2010, 04:49am hrs
Maharashtra home minister RR Patil said on Thursday that the state government had not found any record of a telephone conversation between Congress leader Digvijay Singh and former state ATS chief Hemant Karkare who was killed in the 26/11 attacks.

In his statement in the Assembly on Thursday, Patil said: Karkare was probing the Malegaon blast, but it has no link with the Mumbai terror attack. Karkare died fighting Pakistani terrorists on 26/11. The Congress leaders remarks could be his personal view. The state police machinery does not have any record of his conversation with Karkare on that fateful day.

Last week, Singh had told The Indian Express that two hours before the Mumbai terror attacks, Karkare had called him up to say that his life was blighted by constant threats from those opposed to his probe into the Malegaon blast in which Hindu extremists were accused. Woh pareshaan the, (he was worried) and he told me he was trying to trace the calls, but was depressed and worried by threats and personal attacks made in their newspapers, he had said.

Days later, following criticism from the Opposition, he had asserted that he spoke to Karkare from phone number +919425015461. I have asked BSNL to give me the call record of November 26, 2008, but they say they dont keep a record of more than 13 months. I have asked the authorities concerned to help me get the record. Why should I lie in such a matter he had said.