CWG scam: CBI conducts more raids, file another FIR

Written by Political Bureau | New Delhi | Updated: Jan 8 2011, 05:09am hrs
A day after questioning Suresh Kalmadi, the CBI on Thursday raided 10 premises in Delhi and NCR and registered a fourth FIR naming Commonwealth Games Director General VK Verma and four companies involved in overlays works during the CWG. The agency believes cost for the overlays works undertaken by the firms was inflated by Rs 668 crore.

Sources said the fourth FIR was registered late on Wednesday night. Verma, whose name also figured in the FIR filed by the CBI in the Rs 107 crore Swiss time-keeping deal, along with that of CWG Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, has been named as an accused in the overlays scam case. Verma expressed surprise at being named in the FIR. I was not looking after the allocation of overlays... I have nothing to do with the overlays. The CBI in the past too has not asked me any details about the overlays work, he said. However, CBI spokesperson and DIG Binita Thakur said: The director general and others entered into a criminal conspiracy with the owners of private companies in the award of contracts for overlays for different venues of CWG-2010 at exorbitant rates. The accused public servants abused their official positions, thereby causing undue loss to government and corresponding gain to the private companies and themselves. CWG Organising Committee chief Kalmadis name does not figure in the latest FIR, said CBI officials. Verma had been questioned by the CBI earlier in connection with irregularities in Games projects.

CBI raids started early on Thursday morning and were reportedly focused on four companies that undertook the overlays works and were the Indian representatives of international firms. The contracts had been bagged by a consortium of foreign and Indian firms. The overlays contracts are already under the scanner of both the I-T department and the enforcement directorate.