'Neighbouring soil used for terror attack'

Written by Political Bureau | New Delhi | Updated: Dec 6 2008, 05:38am hrs
Without naming Pakistan, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said that India expects the world community to recognise that territory of the neighbouring country was used for perpetrating the Mumbai terror attacks.

Responding to a question at the joint press conference with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, Singh said, We expect the world community to recognise and other countries have come to the same conclusion the territory of the neighbouring country has been used for perpetrating this crime.

Its the obligation of all countries concerned that the perpetrators of this crime are brought to book, he responded to a query on what India proposed to do about the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks who were said to be in Pakistan.

We will wait for the outcome, he said.

We expect the international community to recognise that terrorism anywhere and everywhere constitutes a threat to world peace, he added.

Earlier this week, in a demarche served to Pakistan High Commissioner on December 1, India made it clear that the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks came from Pakistan and asked Islamabad to take strong action against those elements New Delhi suspects to be behind the blasts.

Pakistan was also asked to hand over most wanted including: Laskhar-e-Taiba leader Mohammad Hafeez Saeed, Dawood Ibrahim and Jaish-e-Mohammad outfit's chief Masood Azhar.

New Delhi claims it has provided strong evidence in the past - the list of Indias 20 most wanted dates back to 2002 in the aftermath of the attack on Indian parliament in December 2001- and will decide on its next step after a formal response from Pakistan on this issue.

According to sources, with not much coming from Pakistan by way of cooperation and the President Asif Ali Zardari saying no to returning fugitives from Indian law, India has for the time being decided to put its bilateral dialogue on hold till its concerns are addressed.

The talks are on hold till the atmosphere is conducive for such an engagement. It is not possible to carry on the dialogue in this atmosphere, sources told FE.

If the atmosphere it not right, how can we carry on the dialogue The atmosphere has been vitiated, sources added.

The composite dialogue process has been suspended especially after more evidence has emerged, pointing towards not only the Pakistan Inter Services Intelligences (ISI) but also some Pakistan based elements.

New Delhi has called off a trip by a Planning Commission team which was going to Islamabad to lay the groundwork and finalise the dates for a visit by deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.

Sources said that Ahluwalias visit to Islamabad was to return a visit by his Pakistani counterpart Salman Faruqui who came here earlier this month to explore the possibility of cooperation in building Metro and in renewable energy.

India and Pakistan launched the fifth round of composite dialogue in July in the shadow of the bombings outside the Indian mission in Kabul. New Delhi blamed the ISI for the blasts, which put the dialogue process under strain.