1. Aadhaar Card and PAN Card linking: How NRIs will get impacted by government’s new rules

The government has made it mandatory to link the existing Aadhaar numbers with the PAN cards of taxpayers with effect from July 1. However, what are you required to do if you are a non-resident Indian (NRI)?

By: | Published: July 4, 2017 6:44 PM
Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Aadhaar Card and PAN Card linking, NRIs, new rules Will the PAN card of an NRI get blocked if he/she doesn’t have an Aadhaar card?

The government has made it mandatory to link the existing Aadhaar numbers with the PAN cards of taxpayers with effect from July 1 and has also notified the rules. However, what are you required to do if you are a non-resident Indian (NRI)? Do these rules also apply to NRIs? If the PAN card of an NRI will get blocked if he/she doesn’t have an Aadhaar? These are some of the questions which might be bothering a lot of NRIs now. We are trying to answer some of these questions:

Can NRIs also get Aadhaar?

As per the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, only a resident who has resided in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 182 or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment is eligible for Aadhaar.

I’m an NRI now and have an Aadhaar. How can I link it to my PAN?

In order to link PAN and Aadhaar cards, taxpayers have to first register on the Income tax e-Filing portal. Once they have done so, they are to follow the steps outlined below:

# Log in to the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, password and date of birth

# On logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card.

# Details such as name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-Filing portal.

# Verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.

# If the details match, enter your Aadhaar card number and click on the “link now” button.

# A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.

I’m an NRI and don’t have an Aadhaar. Is it true that my PAN will be blocked if I’m not able to provide Aadhaar now?

Section 139AA of the Income-tax Act, 1961, as introduced by the Finance Act, 2017, provides for mandatory quoting of Aadhaar / Enrolment ID of Aadhaar application form, for filing of return of income and for making an application for allotment of Permanent Account Number with effect from 1st July, 2017. However, such mandatory quoting of Aadhaar or Enrolment ID shall apply only to a person who is eligible to obtain Aadhaar number.

As per the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, only a resident individual is entitled to obtain Aadhaar. Resident as per the said Act means an individual who has resided in India for a period or periods amounting in all to one hundred and eighty-two days or more in the twelve months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment. Accordingly, the requirement to quote Aadhaar as per section 139AA of the Income-tax Act shall not apply to an individual who is not a resident as per the Aadhaar Act, 2016.

Moreover, filing details of the Aadhaar number while submitting Income Tax Returns from July 2017 does not apply to NRIs.

[With inputs from Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)]

Murali
    Sep 24, 2017 at 3:07 am
    I am currently a US citizen with property in India. How do I pay my property taxes without Aadhar? As an NRI I am allowed PAN but not aadhar.
    1. #
      #AADHAARFAIL
      Aug 31, 2017 at 7:51 pm
      Use 000000000000 as your #AADHAAR number everywhere Email help uidai.gov to delete your bio-metrics and deactivate your #AADHAAR. Jai Hind.
        milind
        Aug 30, 2017 at 12:48 am
        I have mutual fund investments above 10 lacs using SIP before I became NRI in 2013. All these MF investment have my PAN CARD. Also, I do not have Aadhar card. Now, if goverment block the PAN CARD because it is not linked to Aadhar card what will I do ? Goverment should consider cases where people come and go for job related purpose. Many of us are still indian citizens so there should be clarify of the rules. No need to block PAN NUMBERS for NRI's.
          Vishv
          Aug 3, 2017 at 1:09 pm
          Aadhaar issue is absolute chaos for foreign citizens residing in Assam. For filing income tax I need to quote Aadhaar number even as my permanent address is outside India. There is no local aadhaar center in this region. God help us from these mad administrators.
            RAJEEP MAN
            Nov 20, 2017 at 4:36 pm
            BJP led Government is more concerned in collecting revenues from where ever possible, and however possible. They are less concerned about the issues that they have caused to the general public just to fulfill their targets and prove themselves as better leaders. :(
            AM
            Jul 28, 2017 at 9:58 pm
            My parents are NRI, they have NRO/NRE accounts in India, no property. They got Aadhar card and Pan card, they reside in foreign country. They don't file taxes in India, do they still have to link their Aadhar card and Pan card? Is there a deadline to do that? Also there pan card just have the first name initial instead of the full name, would that be a problem if aadhar card have full first name?
              RAJEEP MAN
              Nov 20, 2017 at 4:34 pm
              Yes, details as per PAN must match with the details as per Aadhar Card, while linking the same. Otherwise one shall update any one of them, either make corrections in PAN which is chargeable or update details in UIDAI who allots Aadhar and it is free if requested for online updation. Documents are required to be submitted in all the cases.
            2. Mallika Chaudhuri
              Jul 15, 2017 at 4:03 am
              I am a permanenet resident and a taxpayer in the UK. I have NRO/NRE accounts in India and I own a property jointly with my brother in Kolkata. I had applied for my aadhar card during my holidays in Kolkata in March but it was refused because: i) my Indian passport or my bank documents did not give my address in India ii)The CESC bill for my Kolkata home did, however, show my address but because the bill was for November 2016 was no longer acceptable as valid. It makes a travesty of the system that should help people, not deter them, to register for the aadhar/PAN card efficiently, The system needs simplifying and the officials less bureaucratic.
                Dr Sudhakiran Kalavagunta
                Jul 7, 2017 at 11:39 pm
                Why does not the government make a different for NRIs where the Aadhar linking to PAN does not keep popping again and again. It is high time the Govt of India acknowledges this huge NRI population and addresses their specific needs as well. A lot of NRIs got cards when they were not supposed to, purely due to lack of information, which the govt failed to provide
                  Dr Sudhakiran Kalavagunta
                  Jul 7, 2017 at 11:36 pm
                  Why does the government make a different for NRIs where the Aadhar linking to PAN does not keep popping again and again. It is high time the Govt of India acknowledges this huge NRI population and addresses their specific needs as well. A lot of NRIs got cards when they were not supposed to
                    Max
                    Jul 5, 2017 at 9:31 am
                    I am an NRI and don't reside in India for more than 2-3 weeks in a year, spread over 1-2 trips. I applied for and got an Aadhar card the last time I was here...strange!
                      D
                      Jul 11, 2017 at 10:13 pm
                      Did you provide address in India or outside India in the Aadhar application?