Winter Olympics 2018: 1,200 guards withdrawn from Pyeongchang over virus outbreak

By: |
Pyeongchang | Published: February 6, 2018 10:55:36 AM

More than 1,200 security guards have been withdrawn from the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics because of a norovirus outbreak, organisers said today.

olympic guards, virus outbreak, olympic, winter olympics, winter olympics 2018, pyeongchang winter olympics, winter olympics security gyards, norovirus infectionMore than 1,200 security guards have been withdrawn from the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics because of a norovirus outbreak, organisers said today. (Image: Reuters)

More than 1,200 security guards have been withdrawn from the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics because of a norovirus outbreak, organisers said today. Out of the group, 41 suffered a sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhoea on Sunday. They were transferred to hospital and most were diagnosed with a norovirus infection. Norovirus is highly contagious and can also be spread through food or water contamination. “The 1,200-odd people were pulled out from their duties,” an official of the Pyeongchang Olympic Organizing Committee told AFP. “They were replaced by some 900 military soldiers.”

Health authorities were investigating the origin of the virus, he said. The security guards, all employees from a security company, had been accommodated at a youth training centre in Pyeongchang, separate from the athletes’ village.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Next Stories
1Shooting kills 2 priests, wounds 4 people in southern Mexico
2US president Donald Trump calls Democrats not applauding him ‘un-American’
3US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says ‘we’ll see what happens’ on potential North Korea meeting