The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) condemned the supposed North Korean nuclear test and pledged to ‘begin to work immediately’ on a resolution containing additional measures to stop Pyongyang.
As reported by the New York Times, the White House said that any kind of nuclear test is ‘provocative and a flagrant violation’ of the UNSC resolutions.
The US, however, said that the initial data from its monitoring stations in Asia were inconsistent with a test of a hydrogen bomb, adding there was no evidence so far to support North Korean ‘Hydrogen Bomb’ claim.
According to various experts, the seismic wave left by the explosion was smaller than expected from the detonation of a true thermonuclear weapon. Some experts said it was possible the North had increased the yield of a more traditional device by using tritium, a common technique in the 70-year history of nuclear weapons.
A closed-door morning talks between the 15-member Security Council were called by the United Nations and Japan yesterday.
The North Korean authorities on Wednesday said they have successfully tested a hydrogen bomb amid reports of a tremor near the main nuclear test site.
The State media announced the test after monitors detected a 5.1 magnitude quake close to the Punggye-ri site.
The North is thought to have conducted three previous underground nuclear tests there since 2006.