Suicide attack in eastern Afghanistan kills 14, says official

By: |
Jalalabad | Published: June 17, 2018 6:04:14 PM

A suicide attack in restive eastern Afghanistan today killed at least 14 people and wounded 45, an official said, the second attack in as many days to mar an unprecedented ceasefire.

afghanistan suicide attack, afghan taliban, afghanistan ceasefire, ashraf ghaniKhogyani said 14 people had been killed and 45 wounded. (Representative Image: Reuters)

A suicide attack in restive eastern Afghanistan today killed at least 14 people and wounded 45, an official said, the second attack in as many days to mar an unprecedented ceasefire. The explosion happened outside the Nangarhar provincial governor’s office in the capital Jalalabad, his spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP. It was also close to the Indian consulate.

Khogyani said 14 people had been killed and 45 wounded. An Afghan security source confirmed the suicide attack but gave a lower death toll of at least 10. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast. Khogyani said a suicide bomber on foot had targeted Taliban, local elders and civilians as they left the governor’s compound where they had attended a special event for the Eid holiday.

Yesterday, a suicide attack on a gathering of Taliban, security forces and civilians in a district of the same eastern province of Nangarhar killed at least 36 people and wounded 65 others, provincial health director Najibullah Kamawal told AFP. The Islamic State group’s Afghanistan franchise claimed responsibility for that attack.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Next Stories
1Seoul asks Pyongyang to move artillery from border
2Nepal, China to sign deal for three oil depots
3Bizarre! Indonesian woman swallowed by 23-foot-long giant python