Terror attack in Germany: Munich police spokesman Marcus Martins says a ninth body has been found at the scene of a shooting attack in Munich and police are “intensively examining” it to see if it may be one of the attackers.
Martin says “according to my knowledge, we’re looking for three suspects” in the attack late today afternoon outside a McDonald’s in Munich that police say has left eight other people dead and several wounded.
Martin would not comment on the nature of the injuries to the ninth body but said it was not one of the eight victims.
It was the second attack this week in Germany. Members of Germany’s elite anti-terrorism force are on their way to the scene of the Munich shooting.
Friday’s attack took place a week after a 17-year-old asylum-seeker wounded passengers on a German train in an axe rampage claimed by Islamic State. Bavarian police shot dead the teenager after he wounded four people from Hong Kong on the train and injured a local resident while fleeing. Helicopters are hovering over the complex and crack Army units have been deployed. The Munich police tweeted this alert, “Attention – avoid the neighbourhood around the OEZ. Stay in your homes. Leave the street.”
“Many shots were fired, I can’t say how many but it’s been a lot,” the employee, who declined to be identified, said from the mall in Munich. He added, “All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn’t survive.”
“We believe there was more than one perpetrator. The first reports came at 6 p.m., the shooting apparently began at a McDonald’s in the shopping centre. There are still people in the shopping centre. We are trying to get the people out and take care of them,” said a police spokeswoman.
JUST IN: Twitter video shows people running from scene of shooting at German shopping center https://t.co/rI3HVFMiav pic.twitter.com/59Pf70D5cF
— CNN (@CNN) July 22, 2016
German Justice Minister Heiko Maas told Bild newspaper’s Friday edition that there was “no reason to panic but it’s clear that Germany remains a possible target”.
Sky News’ David Bowden updates on the latest in #Munich: reports of shots being fired in a shopping centre https://t.co/I1Ncby2NQt
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 22, 2016
The incidents in Germany follow an attack in Nice, France, on Bastille Day in which a Tunisian drove a truck into crowds, killing 84 and injuring hundreds. Friday is also the five-year anniversary of the massacre by Anders Behring Breivik in Norway. Breivik is a hero for far-right extremists in Europe and America.
Britain’s Foreign Office issued an alert warning British citizens in the German city of Munich to follow the instructions of the authorities, after police there reported many people had been killed in a shooting at a shopping centre. A Munich police spokeswoman said she believed they were dealing with a “shooting rampage”.
“There are reports of an incident at the Munich Olympia Shopping Centre. You are advised to avoid this location and follow the advice of local authorities,” the Foreign Office said in updated travel advice on Germany.
(With inputs from Reuters and AP)