Qatar crisis: A ransom of up to $1 billion that was paid to forces linked to Iran and Al Qaida to secure the release of 26 members of a falconry party may have been the tipping point in snapping of relations between for Qatar and Gulf Arabs, a Financial Times report said on Monday. As per the report, the hefty amount, which was paid to rescue members of the party, also included some members of the royal family of Qatar. Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and a Libyan military leader have all severed ties with Doha.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump on Tuesday hailed the decisions of these countries to cut off diplomatic relationship with Qatar, an Indian Express report said.
He said in series of tweets, “So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!”
These countries had decided to severe ties with Qatar and block road, air and maritime connections after accusing it of ‘financing, adopting and sheltering extremists.’
You may also like to watch this video
Donald Trump had visited Saudi Arabia last week, where he addressed leaders of 50 Muslim nations and urged them to root out terrorism. His remark had come at a time when Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah visited Riyadh to mediate on the biggest split in the GCC in decades. However, Oman and Qatar Kuwait and Oman have not joined the rest of the GCC in sever ties with Qatar, the paper said.