Three persons have been killed and another 12 were hospitalised in China after drinking medicinal liquor made from a poisonous herb known as “heartbreak grass”.
All 15 workers in a eucalyptus plantation in Lashi Village of Zijin county, Guangdong Province, drank self-made medicinal liquor mistakenly made with Gelsemium elegans, initial investigation has showed, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The local government said the workers all showed symptoms of poisoning after having super yesterday, with one dying immediately and another two on the way to hospital.
Further investigation is under way.
Gelsemium elegans contains gelsemine, which when ingested can cause dizziness, convulsion and, in some cases, death.
In 2011, billionaire Long Liyuan from died from ingesting the plant when a local official spiked his meal.