Check here the highlights from the open hearing of James Comey
James Comey hearing: The ousted FBI Director James Comey documented his testimony in front of the Senate Intelligence Committee Thursday and right now things are not looking good for US President Donald Trump. James Comey is testifying in the connection with the former National Security Advisor Micheal Flynn’s in the probe that sought to find out Russia’s role in US Presidential election, which Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton lost against all odds to eventual winner Trump – it was one of the biggest surprises in a presidential election in the US. Comey is expected to also reveal some key points on Trump administration’s allegedly looking to bring to bear its influence on the FBI’s investigation. The Republican Senator, Richard Burr, is sitting as the chairman of the intelligence committee. He narrated the case of Comey so far and said, he expects Comey to put truth forward. Revising today’s schedule of President Trump, he is expected to hear a part of the hearing in the afternoon. Here are the highlights from the open hearing of James Comey:
1. Comey on Russia’s role in US presidential election: When asked about the Russia’s role in US presidential election, the former CBI director said, “No doubt that Russia interfered in the election.” In the hearing, Comey confirmed his side that President Trump never asked him to stop the investigation about Flynn’s ties with Russia. Comey also stated that President Trump was not under investigation. Comey recalled his February conversation with Trump, where he said that Trump hoped that Comey would hand over the FBI’s investigation into the Micheal Flynn’s hand. Comey revealed that he have a “variety of reasons” in the investigation about Russia’s role and how it can lead to various lethal problems. On being asked, he refused to tell the reasons and said, “that I can’t discuss in an open setting.”
2. Comey on his memos: The Former CBI director said that he made memos after his meeting with the president, as he did not trust the president and doubted his intentions. Comey also told the house that, he knew that there might come a day when he would need a record, not just to defend himself but to defend the FBI.
3. Comey on conversations: Comey said that he chose his words very carefully while talking to President Trump because he was “so stunned” by his part in the conversation.
4. Comey on leaks: The former FBI boss said that he never leaked memos to any reporter as it would be like feeding seagulls at the beach. In the testimony, Comey challenged Trump to release the tapes of their conversation in February saying that, “All I can do is hope. The president knows whether or not he has tapes of me. If he did, my feelings are not hurt. Release the tapes.”
5. Comey on defamation: About the allegations of President Trump spreading lies about him, he stated that the established laws did not assert any possible reasons to fire the FBI director, and the Trump administration took the step to defame him and FBI by accusing it of being an organization in disarray.
6. Comey on being fired: Former FBI boss revealed that he was fired by the administration because he created pressure and irritated President Trump by the way he conducted the FBI investigation on Russia.