Comey's statement reads that US President Trump's behaviour can be described as inappropriate at best and illegal at worst.
Donald Trump vs James Comey: Former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director James Comey on Wednesday created a political storm over his allegations against US President Donald Trump. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has released a 7-page statement written by Comey which gives details of the sacked FBI director’s interactions with President Trump. Comey had planned to use the 7-page document as his opening statement during the Congressional hearing. According to the document, Trump had asked the former FBI Director to drop a probe against former US National Security Advisor (NSA) Michael Flynn. Comey also said that Trump sought loyalty from him, according to The Indian Express. Here are 10 things the sacked FBI director said about Trump:
1) Comey’s statement reads that US President Trump’s behaviour can be described as inappropriate at best and illegal at worst.
2) Comey says that the US President on multiple occasions sought fealty from him.
3) Comey alleges that the President attempted to interfere with a historic federal investigation, and fired him after he refused to entertain the President
4) The former FBI director says that Trump repeatedly and inappropriately asked him to lift the dark cloud over his administration.
5) Comey stated that Trump asked him on several occasions to publicly state that he was not under investigation.
6) The statement says that the FBI leadership agreed with Comey that it was important that the investigation should not be ‘infected by the President’s request’.
7) Comey will also validate Trump’s statement that he was personally not under the probe agency’s lens in connection with the counterintelligence investigation into possible campaign collusion with Russia.
8) Comey says he did tell Trump that he was not being probed for links with Russia but resisted the President’s appeals to make that information public.
9) Comey notes he had nine one-on-one interactions with US President Trump in four months, compared to only two private conversations with former President Barack Obama between September 2013 and the end of 2016.
10) Some legal experts said Comey’s account could bolster a case of impeachment against the US President for trying to obstruct justice.