US President Donald Trump on Tuesday made his debut address at the United Nations General Assembly. Having won the US Presidential elections on the nationalist slogan of “America First”, Trump’s first speech from the international forum would be eagerly watched across the world.
Here are the Updates on Donald Trump’s first speech at the UN General Assembly:
8.12 pm: Trump says all countries that have adopted real communism have brought miseries to their countries, says Trump
8.07 pm: Completely unacceptable situation in Venezuela, we can’t standby as a good neighbour
8.04 pm: Some countries with poor human rights record, sits on the UN human rights body
8.02 pm: Trump says if the U.S. is threatened, will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea.
8.00 pm: The US is a compassionate nation.
7.59 pm: We have made gains in Syria.
7.58 pm: I have changed the rules of engagement in fight against Taliban and other terror groups
7.57 pm: The US will crush all terror financiers
7.56 pm: In Saudi Arab, we agreed to confront all nations supporting terror. We will stop radical Islamic terrorism.
7.54 pm: Its time to for all nations to join hands to take action against the murderous nation of Iran
7.53 pm: Trump says North Korea is a rogue regime
7.52 pm: Rocket man (Kim Jong-un)is on a suicidal mission for himself and his nation
7.50 pm: North Korea is band of thugs
7.49 pm: Donald Trump blasts North Korea at the UN General Assembly
7.48 pm: Trump says North Korea is a rogue regime
7.48 pm: When decent people become bystanders, forces of destruction becomes powerful
7.48 pm: We must work together and confront together those who threatens us with terror
7.47 pm: America’s devotion is measured on the battlefield.
7.47 pm: It is an eternal credit to American character, that we did not seek territorial expansion despite winning mary wars with the allies
7.46 pm: America does more than speak for the values expressed in UN charter
7.45 pm: The US will forever be great friends to all countries of the world, especially allies.
7.44 pm: I will always put America First. Just like you, leaders of all countries, put your own countries first
7.43 pm: Terrorists and extremists have gathered strength & spread to every region of the planet: US President Donald Trump in his first UNGA address.
7.42 pm: Check out UNGA President’s tweet: Ready to deliver opening remarks for #UNGA General Debate.
— UN GA President (@UN_PGA) September 19, 2017
7.40 pm: United Nations Tweets: At #UNGA this a.m.: @MichelTemer (Brazil), @RealDonaldTrump (USA), Guinea & Switzerland.
— United Nations (@UN) September 19, 2017
7.36 pm: United Nations Tweets: At #UNGA this a.m.: @MichelTemer (Brazil), @RealDonaldTrump (USA), Guinea & Switzerland.
— United Nations (@UN) September 19, 2017
Big day at the United Nations – many good things, and some tricky ones, happening. We have a great team. Big speech at 10:00 A.M.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 19, 2017
But first, five things expected from the US President’s speech:
1. According to the Associated Press, Trump is expected to argue that individual nations should act in their own self-interest, yet rally together when faced with a common threat such as North Korea.
Watch Live: Donald Trump’s first speech to the UN General Assembly
2. The US President, who had recently warned of “fire and fury” if North Korea did not back down, is expected argue that the dangers posed by Kim Jung Un’s pursuit of a nuclear weapons program should unite all nations. And he planned to issue not just warnings to North Korea but also rebukes to states that have enabled Pyongyang.
3. It is, however, unclear if Trump would criticize China by name.
4. Trump had frequently belittled the U.N. as a Presidential candidate. Some within White House still believe the UN acts as a global bureaucracy that infringes on the sovereignty of individual countries. However, on Tuesday, Trump is expected declare that UN members, acting as a collection of self-interested nations, should unite to confront global dangers, according to aides previewing his speech.
5. Besides North Korea, Trump is also expected to talk about Iran’s nuclear agenda, instability in Venezuela and the fight against terrorism in Syria and elsewhere.