Barcelona terror attack: This Spanish city has been targetted by terrorist on Thursday, who deliberately ploughed a van into a summer crowd of residents and tourists at Las Ramblas. The terrorists have reportedly crushed many pedestrians and then entered a restaurant where they are reportedly holding hostages. In the tragic incident, as many as 13 people have lost their lives, local media reports say, while CNN says over 50 people have received serious injuries. But the Catalan police and the regional interior ministry has confirmed one dead so far, said a Reuters report. However, this number is bound to rise, it added as there are quite a few who are seriously injured. Following the incident, the area around the incident has been reportedly cordoned off, leaving several ambulances and police vehicles on the scene. Catalan emergency services have also requested the closure of metro and train stations in the vicinity, where the van crashed the people. The Catalan police has also requested people to stay away from the affected area. In a tweet, the Catalan government has asked citizens to not pass through the area attacked by the terrorists. “#Barcelona: Catalan police @mossos are requesting that citizens to not pass through the Ramblas/Plaça Catalunya area”, read the tweet. Here is all we know so far about the Barcelona attack:
– Las Ramblas boulevard is one of Barcelona’s famous and busiest streets, which is normally thronged with tourists and street performers until well into the night.
– On Thursday, a driver in a white van deliberately rammed into a crowd.
– Officers said the crash at Las Ramblas was a “terrorist attack” and a police source said one suspect had left the scene and was “holed up in a bar”, as per local media reports.
– Catalonia’s regional police said on Twitter that they had activated the protocol for attacks after a van mowed down people in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas tourist area. However, they have added that the motive behind the crash was not yet clear, reported Reuters.
– Although only 1 death has been officially confirmed, local media is saying as many as 13 have died and 32 are injured. As many as 10 of these are reportedly seriously injured.
– One person has reportedly been taken into custody
– US President Donald Trump asked citizens to be tough and strong. Taking to Twitter, the President posted, “The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!”
The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 17, 2017
– First lady of the United States Melania Trump took to Twitter and expressed her grief about the Barcelona terror attack. She wrote: “Thoughts and prayers to #Barcelona”.
Thoughts and prayers to #Barcelona
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) August 17, 2017
– Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that consular assistance was being provided to Americans in the city, and urged US nationals to check in with their families, said an AFP report. While speaking about the tragic Barcelona terror attack in a pres conference, US Secretary of States Rex Tillerson said, “We ask US citizens in the area to let your loved ones know you are safe.”