Ranveer Singh Turns Rapper For Zoya Akhtar
Tue May 17 2016, 11:29 am
Desi rappers Yo Yo Honey Singh, Badshah and Raftaar are in for some stiff competition from Ranveer Singh. In the tentatively-titled ‘Gully Boy’, which is presently being scripted by Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti, the 30-yearold actor is set to play an underdog who rises from the slums of Mumbai to become a rapper with a heart and a voice that addresses Dalit oppression, street life, economic inequality and homosexuality. He even takes on corrupt politicians.
“The film is inspired by real life rappers like Divine and Naezy whose work has ranged from speaking about petty crimes in their respective Mumbai neighbourhoods of Kurla and Andheri to sharing stories about finding a voice and becoming activists. It is an extremely ambitious project and will roll next year,” reveals a source close to the development.
More from video section
- Budget 2018: 2 Minute Express Analysis
- Budget 2018: Touched upon all areas including pollution
- Budget is enterprising, focus on health, infra to help India grow
- Budget 2018: Focus of government back, it’s on ‘roti, kapda aur makan’
- Budget 2018: Expected announcements in terms of R&D in auto sector
- Budget is focused more towards farmers and infrastructure
- Positive Budget, focuses mainly on rural India
- Budget is progressive, proposals and rightly balanced
- Very balanced Budget with no populist announcements