UEFA president Michel Platini has described FIFA’s 90-day ban on him as ‘farcical’, and insisted that he will contest the decision at the appropriate time.
Earlier on Thursday, the French football legend saw his ambitions of succeeding football chief Sepp Blatter end after the ethics committee of the world football’s governing body slapped provisional suspension on both of them.
Reflecting on FIFA’s decision, Platini said that he rejects all the allegations that had been made against him, insisting that he had received messages of support from many national associations, Sport24 reported.
Platini added that he would continue his work by serving football’s interests despite the farcical nature of events.
FIFA plunged into an unprecedented crisis when Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings against embattled Blatter last month over allegations that he sold World Cup TV rights to disgraced former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner for 20 times below their true value.
Meanwhile, Platini was questioned over claims that he received a ‘disloyal payment’ of 1.35 million pounds from the controversial president in 2011, though both of them have denied charges.
FIFA, which also suspended its Secretary General Jerome Valcke, said that the duration of the bans might be extended for an additional period not exceeding 45 days.