India’s day 14 schedule August 19: After two unforgettable achievements of Sakshi Malik in wrestling (bronze medal) and an even better one by PV Sindhu in badminton (silver pukka, but set for gold) at the Rio Olympic Games enlivened the atmosphere back home in India on Thursday, today, which is Friday, is set to be another heart-stopper. On offer today for India is the gold medal in badminton and standing between that and PV Sindhu is the indomitable spirit of World No. 1 Carolina Marin of Spain. While on Thursday PV Sindhu was barely troubled as she raced past her injured Japanese opponent, today, she will face a rival who is on top of her game and one who barely gave an inch while reaching the finals. She is also ruthless in her ambition as is clear from Marin goading, even screaming, at herself to raise her game at each and every point. Sindhu should expect, and give, no quarter in this crucial match.
While this will be the highlight, there are other sporting events at the Olympics that Indian sportsmen will be participating in and looking to bring glory to their country. While the wrestler Narsingh episode has left a bad taste behind, it is hoped that this is the last we hear of it. The authorities really should have had a deeper look into the issue before allowing the wrestler to go to Rio as his fans have been left disappointed. Also, this is especially galling as it comes in the wake of Sakshi Malik winning bronze and fans back in India must have raised their expectations skyhigh from Narsingh too. Be that as it may, here is India’s schedule on day 14 (August 19 – India time) at the Rio Olympics Games here today. Be sure to check out the excitement as and when it happens.
WATCH: PV Sindhu Beats Nozomi Okuhara, Enters Final
* BADMINTON: Women’s singles gold medal match: P V Sindhu vs Carolina Marin (1855 hrs IST); Sindhu will be looking to make yet another mark at the Olympics today and this time to win the gold medal. The competition is going to be tough, but Sindhu is on a roll and fully fit and with coach P Gopichand by her side, her confidence must be soaring about effecting a win and scripting history for India.
* GOLF: Round 3: Aditi Ashok (1600 hrs): Another day out in the Sun awaits Aditi who surprised everyone with the quality of her play on Thursday. The Indian golfing sensation is still a teenager and she has played so well that Indian fans are hoping she is able to get a medal for her country. She is well placed in the standings at the moment – tied 7th after the second round of the Women’s Individual event. A good start by the 18-year-old will give her medal charge a big boost. Aditi is just three shots behind the leader, Stacey Lewis of US. She got herself into this position after firing a second successive three-under 68, that consisted of 5 birdies, even though it was all marred by a couple of bogeys. Aditi is now six-under 136.
* WRESTLING: Men’s 57kg: Sandeep Tomar (from 1830 hrs onwards); Wrestling event for men is on today and Indian fans would be expecting another top showing by by them to follow up on the good job done by Sakshi Malik. There will be no Narsingh today as he has been banned.
* Men’s 50km Race Walk Final: Sandeep Kumar (1630 hrs)
* Women’s 20km Race Walk Final: Khushbir Kaur and Sapna (2300 hrs)
* Women’s 4x400m Relay Heats: (0510 hrs on Aug 20)
* Men’s 4x400m Relay Heats: (0540 hrs on Aug 20).
A number of athletics events involving Indians will happen today starting with the men’s 50km Walk. They are the underdogs and will have to be at the top of their game to make an impact.