Two months after that loss, Dhoni donned the Indian jersey for the first time, went on become India's captain, won the T20 World Cup, ICC World Cup, 2 IPL Trophies, ICC Champions Trophy and even retired from Test cricket.
On Saturday afternoon, the young Australian side led by Steven Smith demolished the Indian Cricket team at Pune and won the first Test of the four-match series by 333 runs. This was Australia’s first victory on Indian soil in Tests after almost 13 years or in 4,509 days or in 108,096 hours. A lot of things have changed since Ricky Ponting’s team defeated Sourav Ganguly’s men at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground, Nagpur. Here’s a look at everything that has happened between the two losses:
1. Mahendra Singh Dhoni had not made his international debut. Two months after that loss, Dhoni donned the Indian jersey for the first time, went on become India’s captain, won the T20 World Cup, ICC World Cup, 2 IPL Trophies, ICC Champions Trophy and even retired from Test cricket. So, despite playing 90 Tests Dhoni never lost a Test match against Aussies at home.
You may also want to watch:
2. Michael Schumacher won his last F1 Championships in 2004 and since then F1 has seen six new champions. Legends like Roberto Carlos, Zinedine Zidane, David Beckham, Ronaldo, Luis Figo, Michael Owen and Raul were playing together at Real Madrid.
3. Narendra Modi was still the Chief Minister of Gujarat and went on to serve the state for next 10 years till 2014. Then, he won the Lok Sabha elections and became the Prime Minister of the country. Back in 2004, Arun Jaitley was the Commerce Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee government and is now the Finance Minister of the country.
4. Anil Kumble picked 3 wickets in that match and Daren Lehmann had scored 70 runs in the first innings. Now, they are coaches of the Indian and Australian side. Virender Sehwag, Shane Warne, Zaheer Khan, Murali Kartik and VVS Laxman have retired and are now commentators.
Watch our analysis of India’s loss:
5. People around the world had not heard about Facebook, Twiter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat. Orkut was launched in 2004, became the most popular social network website and was closed in 2014.
6. The concept of T20 cricket was applied at the international level. The first T20 World Cup was three years away and the first edition of Indian Premier League was played in 2008, four years after that loss. Since then, 9 editions of IPL have been played so far and the 10th one will be played in one month’s time.