Just like other cricketers in India, Pant's journey has been inspiring and full of hurdles but the 19-year-old batsman has emerged with flying colours even during the time of adversity that he has faced
Keen followers of cricket must have come across the name of Rishabh Pant a few times in the last couple of years due to his exploits at the Under-19 and domestic levels. But from Thursday night, his astonishing knock of 97-runs against Gujarat Lions has definitely made Pant a household name. The innings was so brutal and powerful that it even won appreciation from legends like Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag and it moved Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan enough to say that ‘it was more than a hundred’. “One of the best Innings I have seen in the IPL & that includes all 10 seasons,” wrote Sachin Tendulkar about the Delhi youngster.
Watch Rishabh Pant’s knock here:
Just like other cricketers in India, Pant’s journey has been inspiring and full of hurdles but the 19-year-old batsman has emerged with flying colours even during the time of adversity that he has faced. Here is all you need to know about the man who may well be the ‘future of Indian cricket’:
– The start of his cricketing career wasn’t easy for Pant as he had to switch many cities. He moved from Roorkee to Delhi to Rajasthan, then returned to Delhi, and was even thrown out of an academy once.
— sachin tendulkar (@sachin_rt) May 4, 2017
– Continuous hard work and determination earned him a spot in the Indian team for 2016 Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh which was coached by Rahul Dravid.
– Opening the batting in that tournament, Pant smashed a record-breaking fifty against Nepal and followed it up with a century against Namibia to help India qualify for the semi-finals.
Love batsman with tremendous belief in themselves which is backed by a special ability for ball hitting.Extra Special today frm Rishabh Pant
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) May 4, 2017
– On the day when he scored that century, Pant was bought by Delhi Daredevils for a whopping amount of Rs 1.9 crores which was much more than his base price of Rs 10 lakhs.
– Making his Ranji debut at the age of 18 years, Pant broke many records by scoring a triple hundred against Maharashtra and a blistering 48-ball hundred against Jharkhand in the 2016-17 first-class season.
— Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan) May 4, 2017
– He was named as Delhi’s captain for the 2017 Vijay Hazare Trophy and led a team that included many senior players like Gautam Gambhir, Shikhar Dhawan and Ashish Nehra.
– Pant was rewarded for his domestic heroics and was selected in India’s T20 squad for the three home matches against England where he also made his international debut.
Watch Rahul Dravid in conversation with DD boys:
“Love batsman with tremendous belief in themselves which is backed by a special ability for ball hitting. Extra Special today from Rishabh Pant,” wrote former Indian opener Virender Sehwag while describing Pant’s knock against Gujarat on Twitter. With MS Dhoni in the twilight of his career, selectors now know where they have to look for his replacement. Rishabh Pant can be a long term replacement for the former Indian captain with his excellent wicketkeeping and hard-hitting skills.