Prithvi Shaw the boy wonder was outstanding on his debut against West Indies and scored a swashbuckling 134 off just 154 balls. Prithvi struck 19 boundaries at a strike rate of 87.01. Shaw was sensational as he started his career by shattering records Here is a list of what 18-year-old batsman from Mumbai achieved at the Saurashtra Cricket Stadium, Rajkot.
1. The boy from Mumbai needed 99 balls to reach to his first century which is the 3rd fastest Test century on debut. Shikhar Dhawan and Dwayne Smith are the only two who are better than Shaw. Dwayne Smith took just 93 balls to score a century against South Africa in 2004, while Shikhar Dhawan reached the milestone in just 85 balls in Mohali against Australia to stamping authority in Test cricket in 2013.
2. Shaw is now fourth youngest to score a century on Test debut. Bangladesh’s star batsmen Mohammad Ashraful and Zimbabwe ‘s Hamilton Masakadza had scored a century before their 18th birthday. While Saleem Malik was also younger than Shaw when he scored his first ton
3. Shaw became the 15th Indian to score a century on Test debut.
4. Shaw, second youngest Indian cricketer after the legend Sachin Tendulkar to score a century in Tests.
5. Gundappa Viswanath and Australia’s Dirk Wellham are the only two with Prithvi Shaw, who have scored a century on their first-class debut as well as on their Test debut. Sehwag had scored centuries in his debut Test and FC innings but his was in his second match.
6. Prithvi Shaw also became the youngest Indian to score 50 on Test debut, leaving behind Abbas Ali Baig who was 20 when he reached the milestone against England in Manchester.
7. Ravi Shastri the coach of the current Indian team was the youngest for a long time to score a fifty at the age of 19.