English Premier League: Saudi-backed group ends takeover interest in Newcastle United, says report

By: |
Published: July 30, 2020 9:00 PM

“With a deep appreciation for the Newcastle community and the significance of its football club, we have come to the decision to withdraw our interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club,” the group said in a statement to Sky Sports.

Newcastle United , Newcastle United Saudi owner, Saudi Arabia, Newcastle United take over, Newcastle United sold, English Premier League, Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners, Reuben Brothers, Mike Ashley, Newcastle United Football Club, Richard Masters, World Trade Organization, intellectual property rights, Qatar, BeoutQ channelA fan displays a banner in reference to Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley. (Courtesy: Reuters photo/File)

A Saudi Arabian-backed consortium has ended its interest in taking over English Premier League side Newcastle United, Sky Sports reported on Thursday. The group, which included Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers, was reported to have made a 300 million pounds ($391 million) bid to buy United from British businessman Mike Ashley.

“With a deep appreciation for the Newcastle community and the significance of its football club, we have come to the decision to withdraw our interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club,” the group said in a statement to Sky Sports.

The Premier League’s board had been carrying out an examination of the proposed takeover as part of its “owners and directors test”, which evaluates the suitability of ownership groups.

However, the league’s CEO Richard Masters suggested last month that the proposed takeover had become complicated.

“Ultimately, during the unforeseeably prolonged process, the commercial agreement between the Investment Group and the club’s owners expired and our investment thesis could not be sustained,” the group said in the statement.

The investor group added that the situation had been complicated by a lack of clarity on the circumstances under which the next season would start and new norms that would arise for matches, training and other activities.

One of the issues raised by critics of the proposed deal was Saudi Arabia’s response to cases of unauthorised broadcasting of Premier League games in the country.

Last month, a World Trade Organization panel told Saudi Arabia it had breached global rules on intellectual property rights by failing to prosecute a pirate broadcaster of sports and movies in a dispute with Gulf neighbour Qatar regarding the BeoutQ channel, which broadcast Premier League games.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1IPL 2020: BCCI invites tender for IPL sponsorship for 4-month period; highest bid not guaranteed winner
2Sachin Tendukar to virtually flag off IDBI Marathon on August 15
3IPL 2020: Govt permits holding Indian Premier League in UAE, says IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel