e-PAN Card Validity: Do you know you can also use e-PAN card? You can now get Permanent Account Number online! The Tax Information Network of the Income Tax Department says in a document that with amendments to clause (C) of subsection (8) of Section 139A of Income Tax Act, 1961 and sub-rule (6) of Rule 114 of the Income Tax Rules, 1962, e-PAN is now valid in order to get a Permanent Account Number issued.
According to the department, e-PAN is a PAN card with a digital signature and is issued in an electronic format. One can get an e-PAN by using Aadhaar e-KYC.
It should be noted that after an applicant has applied, he or she receives a 15-digit acknowledgement number. This number is generated once the online PAN application is successfully submitted. This number can also be used to keep a tab on e-Filing Portal.
What are e-PAN features?
- The Income Tax Department has stated that an individual’s demographics like Name, Date of Birth and other details will be there.
- It will also contain an enhanced QR code which can be utilised for PAN verification if mode is off-line.
- Biometrics of an individual- signature and scanned photo will also be there.
What do you need for an e-PAN?
- Anyone filing for an e-PAN needs to have Aadhaar based e-KYC.The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)’s KYC is leveraged by the IT Department and rolls out instant allotment of e-PAN.
- Applicant’s Aadhaar should have a valid mobile number registered.
- Signature and a scanned photograph of the applicant should be uploaded. It is to note that the size should not exceed 10KB and should be in JPEG format.
e-PAN facility is available for all those who have an Aadhaar number issued by UIDAI and have to file Form 49A for PAN. The process for e-PAN does not involve paperwork and does not have any fee at the moment.