If shifting to a new place is soon on the cards for you, here are a few ways through which you can end up saving significant amount of time and money.
Shifting to a bigger apartment in a new locality with all your belongings can turn out to be a cumbersome task. From your furniture to electrical equipment, you have to ensure that all the items are safely transported to your home. This process, apart from being time-consuming, can leave your pockets lighter. Therefore, if shifting to a new place is soon on the cards for you, here are a few ways through which you can end up saving significant amount of time and money:
1) Sell old clutter: The first and foremost rule is to sell or discard all the unwanted items. You can sell the unused items and use that money to meet other pressing expenses. Make a list of items you want to move and discard the rest. These items may include your old clothes, footwear, plastic containers, buckets etc. You can also donate them or give it to your domestic help. You can also hold a sale or an auction, as long as it makes your relocation easier and enables you to make some quick cash off it. After all, you don’t want your new space to be cluttered.
2) Choose a reliable packing service provider: Only a professional and reliable packing service provider can ensure complete safety of your goods. They will ensure superior quality packaging and sort all items properly. For instance, all the fragile items like mirrors, lamps and vases will be bubble wrapped before they are placed in the cartons. Be upfront about your budget with the service provider and allow them to go about the task in their way. Professional packers and movers are your best bet since they know the most efficient ways of dealing with packing and unloading goods from one place to another. Therefore, always keep in mind to opt for the best-in-class packer and mover services. There are significantly lower chances of damages, missing items, late delivery and insurance claims with such service providers.
3) Roll up your sleeves and do some of your own packing: There’s no reason why you can’t lend a helping hand, pack your more personal belongings, and save yourself some money. You’ll be packing some essentials in any case for the transit; why not pack your clothing and personal effects into suitcases? Packing books and other non-breakable items will also be helpful.
4) Consume your perishables beforehand: You don’t want your favourite pickle bottle to leak and damage the other precious goods that you have packed. Therefore, it is advisable not to pack perishable items such as food while moving to your new home. There are chances that the perishable items may get spoilt or leak and ruin the items around them causing damage and making you bear additional expenses.
5) Always plan well in advance: Do not wait until the last minute to start packing your belongings. Make a check list, sort your goods and start packing beforehand so that you do not miss out on any of the items. Make sure you have packed all your important documents, jewelry and other valuable items. Start packing some of the small stuff or throwing out unnecessary items beforehand to reduce the workload on D-Day.
(By Amanjeet S Sethi, COO, Shift Karado)