The BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty are likely to open higher on Thursday tracking firm global cues.
The BSE Sensex and NSE Nifty are likely to open higher on Thursday tracking firm global cues. Benchmark indices on Wednesday snapped a three-day losing streak supported by rebound in realty, banking and auto stocks amid positive European cues. Moreover, covering-up of short positions ahead of Thurday’s expiry of September series in the derivatives segment too gave domestic equities a push. Markets are likely to remain volatile today on account of F&O expiry.
Below are 5 things you should know before market opens on Thursday:
1) Nifty futures on the Singapore Stock Exchange were trading 44.50 points, or 0.51 per cent, up at 8806 in the morning trade, indicating a gap-up opening in domestic equity markets.
2) Asian markets were trading higher in morning trade on Thursday. Hang Seng, Nikkei and Shanghai were up by 0.47 per cent, 1.36 per cent and 0.60 per cent, respectively.
3) On Wall Street, Dow Jones Industrial Average index jumped 110.94 points, or 0.6 per cent, to 18,339.24 on Wednesday. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index climbed 11.44 points, or 0.5 per cent, to 2,171.37. The Nasdaq Composite advanced 12.84 points, or 0.2 per cent, to 5,318.55.
4) OPEC nations reached a preliminary agreement on Wednesday to curb oil production for the first time since the global financial crisis eight years ago, pushing up prices that had sunk over the past two years and weakened the economies of oil-producing nations.
5) Back home, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, which recently concluded its Rs 6,057-crore IPO, will make its stock market debut today, becoming the first insurer to list.