Rs 50,000 cr to be spent for irrigation scheme

By: |
New Delhi | Published: July 3, 2015 12:10:00 AM

PMKSY aims at providing irrigation facilities to every village

The government has approved Rs 50,000 crore for the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) for the next five years. The scheme aims at providing irrigation facilities to every village by converging the ongoing schemes being implemented by key ministries such as agriculture, water resources and rural development.

For the current fiscal, the finance ministry has allocated Rs 5,300 crore for PMKSY. At present, around 142 million hectares are used for cultivation, out of which only 45% of farmland has irrigation facilities. .

The cost of implementing PMKSY would be shared as 75% grant by the central government and the remaining 25% would be borne by the state government. For north-eastern region and hilly states, the funding pattern would be 90% to 10%.

“Besides increasing gross irrigated area, the PMKSY would bridge the gap between irrigation potential and utilisation, enhance water use efficiency and management and increase agricultural productivity,” an agriculture ministry official told FE.

The programme would be monitored by an Inter-Ministerial National Steering Committee chaired by Prime Minister. A National Executive Committee (NEC) will be constituted under the chairmanship of the vice-chairman, NITI Aayog for overseeing issues like the implementation, resource allocation, inter ministerial coordination, monitoring and performance assessment.

Besides, a State Level Sanctioning Committee (SLSC) will be chaired by the chief secretary of the respective states for the programme. The committee will have complete authority to sanction the project and monitor its progress. Also, there shall be a district-level implementation committee for ensuring last-mile coordination at the field level.

It is expected that PMKSY will provide convergence to existing schemes of water management, thus potentially boosting efficient water use.

At present, a number of central schemes — Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme, Integrated Watershed Management Programme, National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture for promotion of drip irrigation, etc — are in operation to augment irrigation coverage. However, agriculture ministry officials admit that bringing irrigation water to most of the villages of the country had been a distant dream. “Our approach for promotion of irrigation has been fragmented rather than focused,” the official said.

For Updates Check Commodity News; follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition