Apple at trillion dollar stock market value: Apple, the 42-year-old California-headquartered technology firm, hit the much-anticipated mark of $1 trillion in stock market value for the first time on Thursday and became the first company of the United States to achieve the remarkable feat.
Apple at trillion dollar stock market value: Apple, the 42-year-old California-headquartered technology firm, hit the much-anticipated mark of $1 trillion in stock market value for the first time on Thursday and became the first company of the United States to achieve the remarkable feat. Other than Apple, a Chinese state-owned firm PetroChina breached a market capitalisation of about $1.1 trillion upon its IPO (initial public offering) in 2007. According to a Reuters report, PetroChina commands a stock market value of about $200 billion. With the latest data available on Nasdaq, the tech-heavy stock index, Apple holds a stock market value of $1,019,350,469,820 or $1.01 trillion as on Thursday, 2 August 2018.
Apple’s journey from $1 billion to $1 trillion stock market value: Highlights
- Apple achieved a stock market value of $1 billion in December 1980 after its shares got listed on 12 December 1980 following the IPO.
- To reach a milestone of $100 billion in market cap, Apple took more than 26 years. In May 2007, Apple crossed a stock market value of $100 billion for the first time ahead of the first iPhone launch in June 2007.
- From a stock market value of $100 billion, Apple didn’t look back as the Silicon Valley-based tech giant amassed as much as $900 billion in 11 years to become the United States’ first company to have a stock market value of $1 trillion or $1,000 billion.
Timeline of Apple’s stock market value
- August 2018: $1 trillion
- November 2017: $900 billion
- May 2017: $800 billion
- November 2014: $700 billion
- April 2012: $600 billion
- February 2012: $500 billion
- January 2012: $400 billion
- January 2011: $300 billion
- March 2010: $200 billion
- May 2007: $100 billion
- December 1980: $1 billion
Apple shares rallied 3.41% to $208.38 before concluding up 2.9% at $207.39 on Thursday. Following the massive spike in the share prices, Apple hit a stock market value of $1.006 trillion at the intraday all-time high stock price on Nasdaq. Apple shares have been surging continuously since Tuesday this week when the iPhone-maker April-June quarter results beat analyst expectations. From Tuesday to Thursday, it was Apple stock’s best two-day run since April 2014, Reuters said in a report.