Guru Purnima is a day to celebrate the ‘gurus’ or teachers who guide us through our lives towards the path of enlightenment. This day is celebrated to acknowledge their presence and selfless motivation and guidance in the student or disciples’ life. The day is bestowed upon the teachers for their commitment towards imparting knowledge and illuminating our lives with wisdom. Guru Purnima this year falls on July 9, Sunday. This occasion is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists, who pay their respect to their teachers and express their heartfelt gratitude. since this day is also marked by the birth anniversary of Ved Vyasa, Guru Purnima is also called Vyasa Purnima. We cannot imagine our lives without our teachers and after our parents, they guide us and help us differentiate between the right and wrong enlighten us with their own learnings and wisdom and help us lead a life of prosperity.
Ved Vyasa was one of the earliest gurus of the Hindu religion and he is remembered on this occasion. Whereas the Buddhist remember Lord Buddha and spend their day meditating and remembering him. The day is celebrated in various forms in schools and colleges as well where the students express their gratitude through gifts and flowers.
Purnima tithi begins at 07:31 on 8 July 2017
Purnima tithi ends at 09:36 on 9 July 2017
Guru Purnima Puja procedure/Vidhi:
- On this day of Guru Purnima, devotees after waking up early must take bath and worship Lord Shiva or Vishnu and rigorously fast for the whole day.
- A person who is fasting on this day cannot consume any cereal based dishes or food containing salt.
- Satya Narayan Vrat has to be performed and doors have to be decorated with mango leaves and the idol of Satya Naraya has to be decorated with Vermillion, kumkum and sandal paste and garlands have to be offered to the god.
Offerings of fruits and sweets, tambool or betel leaves and nuts must be made.
- At at the end of the puja, Mangal arati should be performed.
Here are some messages you can post on Facebook or WhatsApp your teachers to express your gratitude towards them:
1. You were a light for me in the dark, You were an inspiration and an aspiration, Support me always, I will succeed in all ways, Happy Guru Purnima!
2.You are the inspiration, Made me win with a spirit, It wouldn’t have been possible without you, Happy Guru Purnima!
3.Thank you for teaching me how to write and read, for guiding me to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong . thank you for letting me to dream and soar as a kite, thank you for being a friend, mentor and guide. Happy Guru Purnima!
4.If Guru and God both happen to appear before me. To whom should I bow? I would bow down before my Guru who introduced God to me. May Guru’s blessings always shower on you. Happy Guru Purnima!
5.Stick to the way you are now, follow the paths shown by your Guru, you will be shining in your life and be the star of your own life, Happy Guru Purnima!
6.Today is the best day to pay the tribute to your Guru, On this auspicious day of Guru Purnima, Make an oath for your life to follow the steps of your Guru. Happy Guru Purnima!
7.In every halted situation, you were my inspiration as well as aspiration. I have got the light of Existence I have left behind all the problems of my life and moved towards the peak of experiences in life only because of you. Happy Guru Purnima.
8. You introduced me to myself and showed me the right way of living. Thanks for making me who I am. Wish you a happy Guru Purnima Day.