Machu Picchu, built in the clouds of the Andes Mountains of Peru, has bagged the title of “travellers’ favourite landmark” in a new TripAdvisor ranking. The Incan citadel has won “the best-rated landmark in the world” by TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards 2016.
Machu Picchu has become one of the most recognisable tourist attractions in the world. Machu Picchu is an Incan city surrounded by temples, terraces and water channels, built on a mountaintop. It was built with huge blocks of stone joined to each other without any mortar. It has also been designated UNESCO World Heritage Site in recognition of its political, religious and administrative importance during the age of the Incas.
While Machu Picchu took the top spot for the international ranking; Taj Mahal, Agra, India won the fifth position in the top 10 Landmarks in the World, while the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington DC emerged as the top landmark in the US list.
The top 10 Landmarks in the World according to TripAdvisor members include:
1. Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
5. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood, St. Petersburg, Russia
8. The Alhambra, Granada, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Washington DC
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo), Milan, Italy
Peruvian Minister of Foreign Trade and Tourism, Magali Silva, commented that Peru is proud of its award since it means a worldwide exposition. “Hopefully the recognition of Trip Advisor, probably the most consulted website in the world when it comes to plan a trip, will help to encourage tourism to our country,” she said.