Expedia, one of the world’s largest online travel agency, today released the Summer Trend Report 2015, an analysis of vacation ...
Expedia, one of the world’s largest online travel agency, today released the Summer Trend Report 2015, an analysis of vacation destinations and travel preferences across multiple cities in India. The survey was conducted with 520 respondents across Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad. The survey highlights that most Indian travellers heading to Europe, Middle-East and Africa this summer. They are taking interest in exploring destinations like Finland, Norway, Cyprus, Latvia, Romania, Argentina and Fiji besides the usual travel circuits for Indians.
“Planning for vacation is something that excites everybody and with the summer vacations on the set, Indians are planning to explore varied destinations this summer. 63% Indians have a dedicated vacation fund while 37% are planning to fund it through other sources like credit card, debit card, vacation loan, etc. It is interesting to see that Indian travellers are willing to make sacrifices like quit smoking (48%), junk food (42%) & dessert (32%) and let their in-laws stay with them for a year (41%), to get a free vacation.” said Mr. Vikram Malhi, Managing Director, Asia, Expedia.
The survey also reveals that 39% of Indians are planning to take the summer escape to unwind & relax, while 15% to tick off the destination from their bucket list. In fact, 53% Indians intend to book international hotels online for their vacation that showcases the evolution of the Indian traveller from dependence on offline agents to taking charge of their vacation with online bookings.”, he added.
Appended are the detailed findings of the survey:
Need a Vacation? Hell Yes!
- 39% of Indians are planning to take the summer escape to unwind & relax, 20% for spending time with family and 15% to tick off the destination from their bucket list whereas 4% would take a vacation for reunion with school/college friends.
- 47% from Mumbai and 41% from Hyderabad wish to unwind and relax this summers
- 20% Delhi-iets and 18% from Pune wish to get the destination off their list whereas 23% from Delhi and Hyderabad wish to spend time with their family
- Only 5% Indians wish to take a break to visit any Sports event, Festivals or music concerts
- Vacation Frequency
- Highest ranked #1- Taking one 10-15day vacation in a year at 34%
- Highest ranked #2- 3-4 short holidays in a year (extended weekends) at 47%
- 53% Indians planning to book international hotels online for their vacation
- Mumbai, Pune highest in booking international hotels online (52%), followed by Bangalore (51%), Delhi (48%) and lowest in Hyderabad (32%)
- 68% Hyderabadis planning to book hotels for their next international vacation online
- 63% Indians have a dedicated vacation fund while 37% fund it from other sources like Credit card (17%), Holiday Loans (5%), and borrow money from friends and family (2%)
- Puneiites highest in using plastic money (60%), followed by Mumbai (53%) and Delhi (51%)
- Hyderabadis lead in taking holiday loans to fund their vacation (21%) closely followed by Delhi and Pune (20%)
- Bangalorians and Mumbaiites shy away from borrowing money from friends and family (0%)
- Puneiites most comfortable in borrowing from friends/family (7%) while Delhiites top the list in emotionally blackmailing parents/in-laws to fund their vacation (4%)
- Highest to be family travellers (32%) followed by vacation with Spouse (25%), with friends (18%)
- 10% plan to go solo
- Delhiites (15%) & Mumbaiites (14%) lead in travelling solo
- Hyderabadis completely shy off from travelling alone (0%)
- Least amount of vacations planned with in-laws (1%) and parents (3%)
- Mumbaiites, the only ones to plan vacation with their in-laws this summer (4%)
- Puneiites lead in planning vacation with parents t 12%
We know where you’re going this summer!
- Europe- 24%
- Middle East and Africa- 20%
- Asia- 18%
- US & Canada -16%
- Far East (Australia, NZ, Fiji)-12%
- Central & South America- 10%
- Scandinavian Countries-4%
|Countries||US (11%)||Singapore, China, Latvia (7%)||Canada, South Africa, Malaysia, Romania, Brazil, (6%)||Australia, Fiji, Spain, UAE (5%)||Japan, Indonesia, Turkey, UK (4%)|
Getting vacation ready!
- 24% shop for suitcases, clothes, shoes, swim wear, glasses, etc.
- Hyderabadis (29%) and Mumbaiites (28%) top the list, while Bangalorians are least interested in shopping (18%)
- 23% plan to get a mobile plan or a local SIM card to be connected to social media
- Punneites highest to plan for a connection at 33% while Bangalorians least to plan (19%)
- 19% go for a personal makeover
- Mumbaites (24%) and Delhiites (23%) lead while Hyderabadis care the least (10%)
- 21% don’t bother, just pack their bags and leave
- (27%) Bangalorians top the list
- 18% enrol in diet and weight management programmes
- Puneiites lead at 23% followed by Bangalore and Mumbai at 19%
Time to relax and start indulging? Liberate yourself!
- 35% Indian travellers start relaxing as soon as they leave home/office, while another 30% the moment they reach their destination
- 43% Hyderabadis relax as soon as they reach, while 32% of them relax as soon as they leave home/office
- 14% are never able to leave work and fully relax and 1% never relax
- 25% Bangalorians never able to fully relax, highest amongst the 5 cities; Delhites lowest at 5%
- 24% Indians would like to eat all day and 21% would like to sleep all day and do binge drinking
- 6% Mumbaikars wish to not bathe and 2% Hyderabadis also wish the same
- 20% Mumbaikars and Pune-ites wish to wander around in bikini/shorts and 10% Hyderabadis feel the same
- 31% Hyderabadis want to eat all day and 19% Bangaloreans wish the same
- 27% Hyderabadis wish to sleep all day and 17% Bangaloreans also feel the same
- 19% Delhi-ites wish to party non-stop & night outs and only 6% from Pune wish to do the same
- 11% from Pune would want to hitch hike and 0% from Hyderabad want to do the same
- 16% from Mumbai wish to take strangers out on date while only 8% Hyderabadis want to do that
- 12% Delhi-ites are willing to have a one night stand with strangers while only 4% from Hyderabad would want to indulge in the same
- 5% from Pune wish to take up job at a local café/store compared to none from Delhi and Hyderabad
- 15% from Mumbai would want to go skinny dipping and only 5% from Hyderabad and Delhi showed the same interest
- 16% Indians wish to wander around in a bikini/shorts and 14% wish to party non-stop and have night outs
- 13% wish to ask strangers out on dates and 9% are interested in a one-night stand with strangers to liberate themselves when on vacation
- 11% Indians wish to go skinny dipping to liberate themselves when on a vacation
Willing to make sacrifices for a free vacation? Damn Yes!
- 48% Indians are ready to quit smoking for a year, 42% Indian are ready to quit junk food for one year
- 41% are ready to let their in-laws stay with them for one year and 32% are ready to quit desserts for one year for a free vacation
- 30% are ready to bow down to the naggings of their spouse’s to start a family and have kids for a free vacation, 11% are ready to sacrifice on sex for six months in exchange for a free vacation
- 22% Indians are ready to turn vegan for a free vacation
- No one wants to quit on their job, hobby, favorite gadgets or cut off from their best friends for a year for a free vacation
- 7% Delhi-ites are ready to get hitched for a free vacation and only 2% Pune-ites are up for the same
- 48% from Pune and Bangalore are ready to leave junk for one year for a free vacation and only 35% from Hyderabad are ready for the same
- No one is ready to give up their job and hobby or their favourite gadget for a free vacation
- 6% from Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore and Pune are ready to give up Shopping for one year and only 3% Mumbai are ready to do that for a free vacation
- 19% travellers from Pune and Hyderabad are ready to not eat out for one year and 8% from Mumbai and Delhi will do the same for a free vacation
- 39% Delhi-ites and Bangalorean are up to ditch dessert for one year for a free vacation and only 23% Mumbaikars will do the same
- Only 5% Pune-ites are ready to sacrifice watching TV for one year and only 1% Hyderabadis are ready to do that
- 29% Delhi-ites are ready to give up alcohol for a year for a free vacation and only 11% Mumbaikars are ready to sacrifice on alcohol
- 59% Hyderabadis are ready to quit smoking for a year and 41% Mumbaikars and Delhi-ites can part ways with for a free vacation
- 28% Hyderabadis are ready to turn vegan for a year and only 18% Delhi-ites are ready to do the same for one year of free vacation
- 9% Hyderabadis are ready to Breakup with their boy/girlfriends for a free vacation and no Bangalorean is up to do that
- 18% Hyderabadis are ready to go without sex for 6 months for a free vacation and only 3% Mumbaikars are up for it
- No one is ready to give up on taking shower for a month or cut-off with their best friend for a year for a free vacation 51% from Pune are Hyderabad are ready to let their in-laws stay with them for a year and only 32% from Delhi are ready for this sacrifice for a free vacation
- 36% Delhi-ites are ready to give in to their spouse’s nagging to have kids and start a family compared to 21% Bangaloreans for a free vacation
I want to tell the world I am vacationing!
- 53% Indians prefer to post group/family photos and 45% share the pictures of themselves and their significant others while on vacation
- 11% Hyderabadis like to tag the destinations/places compared to 7% from Pune and Delhi while on vacation
- 26% Mumbaikars enjoy to post selfies and only 14% Hyderabadis do that while on vacation
- 19% Hyderabadis like to post pictures of sceneries that they visit compared to 8% Delhi-ites
- 73% Hyderabadis like to share photos of family/group when on vacation compared to 32% from Pune
- 58% from Delhi share the pictures of themselves and their significant others while on vacation compared to 35% Mumbaikars
- 26% Mumbaikars post pictures of food & Drinks compared to 6% from Pune
- 20% from Delhi prefer to share pictures of activities at the destination whereas only 7% from Pune do that
Post Vacation Syndrome
- 27% Indian hate to catch up on office work/emails post their vacation, 21% hate the huge credit card statement and 14% hate to clean up their house and do dirty laundry post vacation
- 33% Bangalorean hate to catch up on office work/emails followed by 29% from Delhi whereas only 23% from Pune and Hyderabad feel the same
- 16% from Hyderabad don’t enjoy cleaning up houses followed by 15% from Mumbai and Bangalore whereas only 11% Delhi-ites feel the same
- 7% from Pune hate the jet lag and 0% from Mumbai and Delhi feel the same
- 5% from Pune hate to get up early for office whereas none from Delhi feel that ways
- 21% from Mumbai and 8% Delhi hate the Dirty laundry from vacation
- 17% from Hyderabad and Bangalore hate to the help the kids with holiday homework whereas 2% from Pune feel that ways
- 11% from Delhi and 10% Hyderabad and Pune each don’t like to meet friends/relatives they did not bring gifts for whereas only 3% from Mumbai and Bangalore feel that ways
- 24% Delhi-ites and Mumbaikars don like the huge credit card statement whereas only 15% from Hyderabad feel that ways
Next vacation PLEASE.
- 4% travellers start planning the day they return from holiday, 14% plan when they sit back and look at photos, 22% start within a month and 26% after about 6 months
- 40% Delhi-ites start planning for vacation after 6 months once they are back followed by 39% from Hyderabad. Whereas, only 12%$ from Mumbai feel the same
- 38% from Hyderabad and Bangalore can’t say when they start planning for their next vacation whereas only 10% from Pune fall in this category
- 12% from Delhi start to plan the day they return from their vacation, whereas 0% from Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune don’t do the same
- 31% from Pune start to plan their next vacation when they look at the vacation pictures and get nostalgic whereas 0% from Delhi and Hyderabad feel this way
- 37% from Pune start planning within a month from coming back from vacation, whereas 10% from Bangalore feel this week
- Only 10% from Bangalore start planning within a week compared to 0% from Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Pune
The study was conducted on behalf of Expedia by Access Media International, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm. This survey was conducted online from April 15 to May 12, 2015 across Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune. The study was conducted among 520 employed adults aged 18 years of age and older.
Expedia is the world’s largest full service online travel agency with localized sites in 31 countries. Expedia is a one-stop solution for all travel needs, with a comprehensive and distinctive suite of travel solutions covering over 510,000 hotels, 5000 holiday activities and 400+ airlines worldwide. Expedia helps consumers not only book flights, hotels, buses and tourist attractions globally, but also provides services like visa and car rentals, supported by a 24×7 call center in India. The portal also features over 350,000+ independent and verified traveller reviews; the portal allows access to reviews by Indian travellers, to help consumers make an apt hotel choice.
Photo caption: Infographic_Expedia Summer Travel Survey 2015