India will celebrate its 75 years of Independence on 15th August 2022. In view of 75 years of independence, the Modi government has taken an initiative ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ to celebrate the glorious history, achievements and culture of India. Each and every corner of the country is in the flavour of celebrating the 75 years of Independence. Under the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ initiative, there is a ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign to encourage people to showcase the Tiranga at home and to hoist it to mark the 75th Independence Day.
Before celebrating the Independence Day let us all recall the glory of our national flag. The changes our Indian flag saw before the year of 1947. Any idea how many times our national flag has been changed and how it had been evolved over the years? The national flag which we see today, saw changes couple of times before it started representing India to rest of the world:
Let us take a look at the journey of our tricolour:
- On August 7, 1906, India hoisted the first National Flag of India in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- In the year of 1907, Bhikaji Cama hoisted the second flag in Paris.
- During the Home Rule movement, Dr Annie Besant and Lokmanya Tilak hoisted the third flag in 1917.
- In 1921, a man from Andhra Pradesh presented a flag to Mahatma Gandhi, which included a suggestion of white strip and Charkha. This incident took place during the session of the All India Congress Committee. This particular flag was made up of red and green colours.
- In 1931, a resolution was passed to adopt a tricolour flag as our national flag. On August 31 of the same year Indian National Congress hoisted the flag and was formally adopted
- From 1947 till now we have the tricolour flag of India. The flag was first hoisted at the Council House on August 15, 1947.