While the fizzy cola drink is loved by most people in the world, an Indian scientist has now shown what Coca-Cola does to your body up to an after you gulp it down. On his blog Truth Theory, Niraj Naik has outlined the health issues around drinking Coca-Cola, News.com.au reported. Here are 10 ‘alarming’ points:
1. In the first 10 minutes, a person consumes around 10 teaspoons of sugar (100 per cent of your recommended daily intake), and though the level of sweetness should make one vomit, the phosphoric acid cuts the flavour allowing one to keep it down.
2. After 20 minutes, the body’s blood sugar spikes giving an insulin burst and the liver responds by turning sugar into fat.
3. Caffeine absorption is complete by 40 minutes after which pupils dilate, blood pressure rises, and as a response liver dumps more sugar into bloodstream.
4. The adenosine receptors in the brain get blocked preventing drowsiness.
5. After 45 minutes, the body ups a person’s dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centres of the brain, which is physically the same way heroin works, and after an hour the caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play.
6. The buzz dies down and person starts to have a sugar crash.
7. Worryingly, fructose was the form of high fructose corn syrup, found in most processed foods and most people are totally unaware of its danger.
8. “Many fruits also contain fructose, but nature has provided the antidote, as these fruits are also packed with fibre which prevents your body from absorbing too much of it.”
9. He added that there were 1.6 billion servings of Coke everyday all over the word, and if people cared about their heart, health and mind then they shouldn’t reach for that bottle of Coke.
10. What pushed Naik to investigate Coca-Cola was seeing how people following strict low fat diet were gaining weight.