Covid-19 Vaccine Registration in India, Coronavirus Cases in India Tracker, Covid-19 India June 22 Highlights: As the Modi government started universal free vaccination for all above 18 years on Monday, India inoculated a record 86.16 lakh people against Coronavirus on Day 1 of the new vaccination policy. Madhya Pradesh (16.01 lakh doses), Karnataka (10.86 lakh doses), Uttar Pradesh (6.9 lakh doses), Gujarat (5.05 lakh doses), and Bihar (4.88 lakh doses) lead the chart, according to a report by The Indian Express.
Under the new vaccination policy, which came into play from Monday, the central government will procure 75% of doses from vaccine manufacturers and supply them to states/UT for the free vaccination drive for all adults eligible to get inoculated. The rest 25% has been kept for private hospitals; the government has allowed them to levy a service charge of maximum Rs 150 for vaccination.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated people for the record-breaking vaccination number, which is so far the highest since India launched the vaccination drive on January 16. However, the big question is: Will India be able to sustain the pace of vaccination? India needs enough vaccine supply to keep up the pace. Both Bharat Biotech (Covaxin) and Serum Institute of India have been ramping up vaccine production. According to reports, 12crore doses will be available by the end of this month, and 13.5 crore by July, compared to 7.5 crore doses in May.
The central government aims to vaccinate all of its adult population by the year-end. But it needs to maintain/ increase the pace of vaccination to achieve the target. The central government has decided to increase the pace of vaccination in July and August, Home Minister Amit Shah informed on Monday. With Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to provide free vaccine against COVID-19 to people aged 18 and above, “we will fast achieve the goal of inoculating almost everyone,” he said. With a likely increase in vaccine supply from July, the government expects states/UTs to administer 45 lakh doses daily.
India reported less than 50,000 new Covid-19 cases, the lowest in 91 days, in teh last 24 hours, according to Union Health Ministry data on Tuesday. With the fresh cases, the total tally of Covid-19 cases increased to 2,99,77,861. A total of 42,640 coronavirus infections were reported in a day, while the death toll climbed to 3,89,302 with 1,167 daily fatalities, the lowest in 68 days; active cases fell below 7 lakh after 79 days, the Health Ministry said.
The country has been reporting below 1 lakh Covid-19 cases for the past two weeks. Active cases in the country have been falling sharply. Covid-19 deaths and positivity rate have also dropped. Overall, it seems the peak of the Covid-19 second wave is behind us. Several states/UTs like Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana have started the process of unlocking/relaxed Covid restrictions as cases continue to fall.
Financial Express Online is bringing you the latest updates from India as well as around the world on coronavirus: