Strategic interventions to crack the CAT 2014

November 3, 2014 5:58 AM

Aspirants of CAT 2014 started their homework months ago and, by now, they would have nearly completed their preparation.

Aspirants of CAT 2014 started their homework months ago and, by now, they would have nearly completed their preparation. As the date of the examination draws near (November 16-22), aspirants would be wondering whether to continue with the preparation pattern followed or chalk out a new last-minute strategy. But before that, they must keep a few things in mind.

CAT 2014 has more questions, hence there is less scope to leave behind any chapter from the syllabus. It is difficult for any aspirant to attempt all questions in CAT and to succeed the focus should be to get minimum 60% answers right. Going through last 10 years’ question papers and identifying the topics that were not considered earlier is important.

In CAT 2014 there are no restrictions in moving between sections. To adapt to the changed pattern, aspirants are advised to visit the revised mock tests which contain 100 questions and practice to answer the same in 170 minutes. One must aim to score balanced high sectional percentile than to focus on overall high percentile.

A total of 100 questions in 170 minutes means reduction of per question time from 2.3 minutes to 1.7 minutes. One must attempt to solve easy questions first and use around 70 seconds for a question. Such questions may form around 30%. Thus for the remaining 70% you can have more time, so practise accordingly.

Going by the pattern displayed in the practice tests of the CAT 2014 website, the verbal ability part in second section appears to have undergone a major change with respect to the number and type of questions. Here one must not assume answers but learn to read between the lines. Pay good attention to the comprehension section will play a crucial role in the area of verbal ability. Getting the 16 reading comprehension questions right out of 34 questions on verbal ability can play a major role in pushing the percentile up in CAT 2014.

With very little time left for CAT 2014, students might be busy breezing through notes. Revising at this stage may not be a good idea; however, taking out time to solve previous year CAT papers and understanding the format will pay.

Savitha GR
The author is assistant professor, HR, WeSchool, Bangalore

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1UPSC CSE 2019: Final marksheet released, topper Pradeep Singh secures 1072 out of 2025
2Path to Revival: Strong demand for blue-collar workers, full-time jobs on offer
3TCS to recruit 10,000 staff in US by 2022