This is a big development and a good news for the researchers who are doing their PhDs in IITs or IISc. According to Union higher education secretary Kewal Kumar Sharma,”The Centre will provide Rs 70,000 as a monthly fellowship to those researchers doing their PhDs in IITs or IISc.” As of now, researcher-students get Rs 25,000 as monthly scholarship at IITs. Here are top things to know about this big development:-
– This Rs 70,000 per month fellowship is a part of the research fellowship scheme of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
– Under the scheme, the meritorious students who are being forced to leave the country for purely financial reasons stay within the country, as per Union higher education secretary Kewal Kumar Sharma.
– The Narendra Modi government will provide 2,000 such monthly fellowships
– Only IITs and IISc Bengaluru will be eligible for this Rs 70,000 per month fellowship
– It will be given for a period of five years
– This will enable meritorious researchers, keen to further their research but forced to opt for corporate jobs for higher pay, to pursue their goal, according to Sharma
– Sharma made this big announcement at the 67th Foundation Day of IIT Kharagpur at its Kharagpur campus in West Midnapore district yesterday.
– The scholarship recipients cant do any other job
– The cabinet nod for the proposal may come soon.
– Reportedly, the Rs 70,000 scholarship will start from the next session