CSMT station serves as the headquarters of the Central Railway zone and is one of the busiest stations across the country. The CSMT station will be redeveloping without disturbing its heritage value.
The CSMT railway station of Mumbai will soon be redeveloped into world-class transit hub! As part of Indian Railways’ ambitious station redevelopment plan, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) station in Mumbai will get a stunning makeover with world-class facilities. The Indian Railways Station Development Corporation or IRSDC has been delegated with the task of redeveloping railway stations on the network to world-class standards. The IRSDC is a special purpose vehicle and comes under the Ministry of Railways. An IRSDC spokesperson told Financial Express Online that the RFQ (request for quotation) of the CSMT station redevelopment has been prepared and is under examination. The tender for the project is likely to be issued soon.
The CSMT station is a UNESCO world heritage site in Mumbai and is a historical railway station in the state of Maharashtra. The station serves as the headquarters of the Central Railway (CR) zone and is one of the busiest stations across the country. The CSMT station will be refurbished without disturbing its heritage value.
- Relief for passengers! Indian Railways may start more IRCTC special trains in coming days based on demand
- IRCTC special trains: Indian Railways cracks down on touts to ensure tickets availability for common man
- IRCTC 200 special trains: Indian Railways passengers must note these food, linen & blanket rules
The IRSDC with the station redevelopment program, aims to redevelop the station into airport-like world-class standards. Several stations are being developed on the basis of the public-private partnership (PPP) mode, with the approval of the public-private partnership appraisal committee. Initially, the IRSDC will be first developing the Gandhinagar and Habibganj railway stations into world-class transit hubs. Some of the facilities which will be available at the stations after the ambitious redevelopment are as follows:
- Separate entry and exit points at the station to avoid any collision of passengers
- Wide circulating area and dedicate concourse area in the station for the convenience of passengers
- Airport like retail shops, F&B outlets, restaurants and luxury brands
- Environment-friendly ambience and special facilities for Divyangjan or differently-abled passengers
- State of the art passenger information system at the stations
- Passenger-friendly facilities such as lifts, escalators, travelators and mezzanine levels on the concourse area
- Multi modal integration with other modes of transport systems such as metro, inter state bus terminals