Various green initiatives have been implemented across the Central Railway zone with the installation of solar panels, plantation, passenger-friendly initiatives at many railway stations, LED bulbs, lights, etc.
As per Confederation of Indian Industry’s IGBC ratings, Indian Railways’ Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) becomes the first railway station in the state of Maharashtra to be awarded with Gold certification. Central Railways claimed it has implemented various green initiatives across the zone with the installation of solar panels, plantation, passenger-friendly initiatives at many railway stations, LED bulbs, lights, etc. Besides, Mumbai Railway Division has put in concerted efforts in implementing multiple green and passenger-friendly initiatives across its railway stations, especially at CSMT. Following are some of the finest green Building and passenger-friendly features enabling CSMT railway station in Mumbai to receive the Indian Green Building Council Green Certification:
- CSMT is designed to be passenger-friendly for senior citizens and differently-abled
- Electric charging points have been provided for some of parking spaces to encourage electric two and four wheelers in parking lot
- Over 15 per cent of the station site area is covered with trees, small parks as well as landscape area, lawns, etc., have been maintained with organic manure
- The CSMT railway station has installed on site 245 kWp solar panels
- At the station, 100 per cent lamps have been replaced with LED fixtures
- As many as 17 occupancy sensors have been installed in various offices and waiting rooms
- At various locations across the station, energy efficient BLDC and HVLS fans are provided and installed
- At CSMT, Comprehensive Mechanized Cleaning is done, with focus on concourse, platforms, circulating areas, tracks, roof tops, parking places, waiting halls, shutters, etc.
- The contractors use chemicals that are bio-degradable and eco-friendly
- Smart passenger amenities have been provided such as WiFi, Tourism Information and Booking Centre, Automatic Ticket Vending Machines, Pharmacy and Medical Facility, Food Court, etc.
- To create awareness on adverse environmental impacts of plastic bags, the CSMT railway station has signage installed saying “Avoid Usage of Plastic Bags” as well as digital display boards
- Delhi Metro to operate with full seating capacity as govt further relaxes Covid curbs
- Indian Railways to run Superfast Special between Jhansi and Kolkata; Check timings, halts & other details
- Direct and fast rail connectivity in Haryana! State approves Indian Railways Karnal-Yamunanagar rail line project