Air Asia leadership issue: Tatas to hold emergency board meet tomorrow

Updated: June 18, 2018 3:58 AM

The Tatas have called for an emergency board meet to settle the leadership issue at their joint venture budget airline AirAsia India (AAI) with Malaysian partner Tony Fernandes. Tatas hold a 51% stake in AAI, with the other 49% vested with Malaysian airline AirAsia Berhad.

Air Asia leadership issue, Air Asia leadership, Air Asia, tata board meetingThe Tatas have called for an emergency board meet to settle the leadership issue at their joint venture budget airline AirAsia India (AAI) with Malaysian partner Tony Fernandes. Tatas hold a 51% stake in AAI, with the other 49% vested with Malaysian airline AirAsia Berhad.

The Tatas have called for an emergency board meet to settle the leadership issue at their joint venture budget airline AirAsia India (AAI) with Malaysian partner Tony Fernandes on Tuesday, sources in the know told FE. Tatas hold a 51% stake in AAI, with the other 49% vested with Malaysian airline AirAsia Berhad. It was understood that the airline will be looking to appoint their current director, operations, Manish Uppal, an old hand as the interim CEO, but the move fell through as there was some opposition to his appointment and he will continue as the accountable manager till the interim CEO is finalised. FE had earlier reported that the appointment of Tata’s choice for the top job, Jet Blue executive Eash Sundaram, had hit a roadblock because of an ongoing CBI inquiry into bribing allegations that also named Fernandes among others and that Uppal will be sought to fill in the spot till at least July. Amar Abrol, the airline’s second CEO, quit in May before his term expired. Tuesday’s board meet should also be seen, according to sources, as the Tatas settling to gain an upper hand in finalising the top deck at the airline and thereby wresting more operational control at AAI which till now has been the domain of the Malaysian partner. A few other crucial department heads at the airline are also likely to be finalised in the board meet.

Manisha Singhal

 

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition