Turkey blocks Twitter, Facebook, over images of prosecutor

By: |
Istanbul | April 6, 2015 8:49 PM

Turkey today blocked access to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube over the publication of images of a Turkish prosecutor killed by leftist...

Turkey, Turkey crisis, Turkey Twitter, Turkey twitter ban, Twitter, Turkey Facebook, Turkey Facebook ban, Facebook, Turkey social media ban, Turkish prosecutor imageA person holds a phone displaying a Twitter error message in front of a Turkish national flag in this file picture illustration. Turkey blocked access to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube on April 6, 2015 over the publication of photographs of an Istanbul prosecutor held at gunpoint by far-left militants hours before he was killed in a shootout last week, officials said. (Reuters)

Turkey today blocked access to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube over the publication of images of a Turkish prosecutor killed by leftist militants during a hostage standoff last week.

The sites were inaccessible for many users in Turkey, with the Hurriyet newspaper saying that service providers got an order from prosecutors to block Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

YouTube.com ran the text of a court ruling on its site saying an “administration measure” had been implemented by the country’s telecommunications authority (TIB).

Hurriyet said the order blocked a total of 166 websites, including the three Internet giants, which published the images.

Bulent Kent, the secretery general of Internet Service Providers Union (ESB) told Hurriyet that a prosecutor’s order was issued to the union, but that the process was ongoing.

He said that all service providers were expected to implement the ban immediately.

Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz and his two captors linked to Marxist Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) were killed after a shootout at a courthouse in Istanbul on Tuesday.

The DHKP-C had published pictures showing one of the militants — his face concealed by a scarf with the group’s red and yellow insignia — holding a gun to the hostage’s head at his offices in Istanbul.

The images were circulated on social media while the siege was going on and were published by several Turkish newspapers as well as news websites.

A day after the standoff, Turkish prosecutors launched a probe into four newspapers for disseminating “terrorist propaganda” after they published the controversial images.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) have been repeatedly criticised for using court orders to block critical websites, topping a Google table for content removal requests requests.

Last year the search engine also accused Turkey of intercepting its Internet domain, redirecting users to other sites.

The government blocked Twitter and YouTube in March 2014 after they were used to spread a torrent of audio recordings implicating Erdogan — then premier — and his inner circle in an alleged corruption scandal.

Turkey’s parliament last month approved legislation to tighten the government’s control over the Internet by allowing it to block websites without prior judicial authorisation, sparking outrage both at home and abroad.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, Check out latest IPO News, Best Performing IPOs, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1Starlink calling India: All your questions answered about Elon Musk’s revolutionary satellite broadband service
2Microsoft says Chinese hackers targeted groups via server software
3Shell Energy to take part in renewable, gas-based power value chain for grid stability