The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has sought data on congestion from Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India, Idea Cellular and Reliance Jio, pertaining to calls from September 15-19, and would analyse it to see who’s at fault and what action should be taken, chairman RS Sharma said on Monday on the sidelines of an industry function.
The regulator has also asked for details on number portability requests and rejections. Operators will have to submit the data within the next two days.
“We are very clear that customer experience, quality of services, and his interests are extremely important,” Sharma said.
RJio has been sparring with incumbent operators since the past few days stating that majority of its calls are failing since incumbents have not provided it sufficient points of interconnect (PoIs). Though recently all incumbents have released more PoIs, on Sunday Jio and Bharti had a spat over whether sufficient number has been provided for calls from Jio’s network to those of Bharti.
Reliance Jio has also complained to Trai about rejection of MNP requests by the incumbent operators.
Reliance Jio, over the past week, has entered into agreements with Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular for Points of Interconnect, of PoIs, for its subscribers to be able to connect, make and receive calls to the respective subscribers.
The truce followed a temporary negotiation brokered by Trai earlier this month.
Though Sharma said that the regulator will analyse the data and take appropriate action, he declined to give details whether it would include financial disincentives and fiscal penalties. “We will act quite fast,” he added, without elaborating.